Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD410 Probable metal chips in trans

Dave McC. ยท 2020-08-10 10:44

Bent dipstick resulted in metal removal. I am about to change oil, filters and clean hydraulic intake screen. Hoping that will remove most chips. Repeat oil change within 25-50 hours (low use machine). Would like advice.

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2020-08-10 13:36

    Add some magnets and forget about it. Hard drive magnets are easy enough to find, very powerful, can be epoxied into the drain plug, or stuck to the outside of a filter cartridge (in the oil) or maybe rigged into the screen somehow. I wouldn't bother changing the oil twice, trust the magnets.

  2. #2Welder Dave2020-08-10 14:56

    What do you mean by bent dipstick resulted in metal removal, the dipstick broke?

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-08-10 15:07

    Welcome to HEF, Dave ! More details are needed to get accurate advice from the members.

  4. #4Dave McC.2020-08-10 15:53

    I thought about magnets but was not sure how to install them. I like your ideas, Thanks.

  5. #5Dave McC.2020-08-10 16:04

    Looked like someone might have stepped on it. Edge of dipstick is about half worn thru for a couple inches. Soft metal easily bent. Straightened by hand. Apparently not much clearance in there. I am thinking a few beads of weld would restore it. I just don't want to make it brittle.

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-08-10 17:46

    I wouldn't think a dipstick would rub on anything but if it's damaged, replace it.

  7. #7Dave McC.2020-08-10 20:56

    That is the $180+ option from John Deere

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-08-10 22:10

    Have you looked for a good used one? $180 is high for a dipstick but as far as a repair on equipment goes is in the low range of the scale. See if your local dealer is part of the used equipment network and can locate a good used dipstick.