I have a 1984 JD 410. I bought it about a year ago for a homebuilding project. Engine hours are unknown. I was able to use it all last summer and into the fall. It would not start without a shot of ether when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees. This winter, I would go out to the land every two weeks or so and run the block heater, give it a little ether and start it. I would run it long enough to get it up to operating temperature. About six weeks ago, it would no longer start. Even with some warm days (as high as sixty degrees) it still will not start. Even with ether, it will only fire a couple of times and then nothing. I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Patrick
Is it blowing smoke when cranking? even just a fine mist? Do you have an electric solenoid shut off on the injection pump? or a rod to pull to shut off the engine? If it's a solenoid, disconnect that wire from the pump, and with the key on, touch the wire to the terminal, you should hear it click. If so, look up the procedure for priming the fuel system, if it's a Roosa Master/Stanadyne it's just pumping the priming handle. The altitude doesn't help you any starting it so the ether is a good idea. Why did you want to start it through the winter? just disconnect the battery ground and it will be fine.
whats the # on the name tag?? JDB-2800??
Delmer, Thanks for your reply. When I crank it, I get white smoke out of the exhaust. I tried some ether again and it won't even fire with ether. I try to start my equipment and get it up to temperature because that is what my father taught me to do. He worked around machinery and owned a shop for over 50 years. It made sense to me to do this. Not saying it is necessary but I don't think it hurts either. Pump guy, I don't understand the question. Sorry.
Theres a name plate on the injection pump.. whats the first line read..?
Pump guy, The pump is a Roosa Master JDB431MD2800. Serial and Manufacturer number 2809705/AR-61113. It has a solenoid that I tested today and seems to be working fine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The solenoid is probably working because you're getting fuel mist out the exhaust. So why won't it start? The cool temps, altitude, and wear on the engine, battery, starter all contribute. I don't know, not being there. Does it crank with a normal speed/sound? have you tried charging the battery and/or warming the battery and/or jump starting it? Does it crank a little slow at first and then speed up? but not blow the mist out the exhaust, just slowly seep out the pipe? A collapsed/blocked air intake will make an engine not start like that (pack rats etc.)
Remove the fuel return connection pipe & fittings on the top cover of the inj. pump.. all the way down to the alum. cover on the inj. pump. IF you did it right, you should be looking at a hole in the top of the pump.. Loosen ALL the lines AT ALL THE INJECTORS a turn or 2.. NOW .. crank it, in 10 second bursts until fuel spurts out the lines at the injectors.. & tighten. DONT burn up the starter.. IF no fuel comes out of the lines we have to go deeper in the inj. pump.. MAKE SURE you have fuel TO THE INJ. PUMP FIRST.. if you don't have fuel going INTO the PUMP, you aren't gonna get any OUT.. Good luck.
Thanks pump guy and delmer. I will try these things next time I go out. We were in the 50s and 60s here for a while but a new storm came through and we have snow again for the next few days.
By the way, what altitude is the loader at?
SNOW!!! LOL.. I worked in the garden in shorts & a T.. & pressure washed the house.. Lol
Altitude = 7000 ft.
Good news. It now starts. Didn't change anything. Just gave it one more try and it started. Still requires a small shot of ether but it runs fine otherwise. Thank you to Delmer and Pump Guy for your advice. Very much appreciated.
Happy to help.. If you get some "down time".. try adjusting the valves.. I think you might just have a "bottle baby" tho.. {addicted to ether}{low compression} Glad it started for ya..
you could also try #1 diesel, recomended by the Deere manual above 5,000'. If you don't have too much blowby, don't worry about using starting fluid, be careful, but it won't hurt anything used correctly.
I am al;so having problems with air in the lines after mounting rebuilt IP, all new injector lines, new return hoses. I was under the impression that I was supposed to bleed the Injectiors one at a time, but you say undo all the lines to al four injectors. I can not seem to get the air out, so am I doing it wrong one at a time? I really need help with this, any and all responces are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I got back from working on a JD today.. died in the field.. Naturally I get the call 3 days later, after Billy & Bubba have been working on it.. The pick up in tank was clogged, the system was FULL of air & the battery was run down.. Once I blew back thru the line at the tank, I removed the fitting at the top of the pump, I used the hand primer to fill the system, loosened ALL the lines at the pump 1st.. just to get the pump pumping.. Once I got the pump pumping, I tightened the lines at the pump & loosened ALL of them at the injectors.. I had to jump the batteries off my truck inorder to get it spinning fast enough to start tho.. The tractor had 300 hrs on it.. It took me 1:15 from start to finish..
So, that was a job well done. My question is, do you loosen all the lines to the injectors at the same time or one at a time. Also, I was wondering if the little hand pump on the side of the lift pump, is it strong enough to bleed the whole system?
You loosen ALL or as many as you can reach.. MORE is better when your trying to work w/ air.. Who in their right mind is gonna remove a turbo or a muffle to loosen an injector line?? So 5 outta 6 or 3 outta 4 will be fine.. or even 2 outta 4.. NOT 1 outta 4 or 1 outta 6.. I removed the return connector on top of the pump, turned on the key switch & had the customer work the HP while I held the throttle WIDE OPEN & worked the key..
Thanks so much pumpguys, that is a big help. I am an (OLD) 80 year old Cowboy Preacher that tries do do things himself and in reality I have no idea in the world what I am doing I am working on my JD410 backhoe, and we live smack dab in the middle of the Sonoran desert and there is no one within a 100 miles that I can go to for help. This site has always been a blessing for me, because here I can talk my problems over with people that know what they are talking about. Once again, THANK'S !