Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD450 Track Loader will only run 3 minutes and dies

Kap450 ยท 2014-03-09 23:18

I was thinking that it is a fuel issue. I have drained the glass bowls on the fuel filters and have primed it to remove air from the lines. It is still only running for a few minutes then does. Any ideas?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2014-03-10 09:21

    Does the engine lose speed and then die? or sputter and miss and then die? missing is usually air, and slowing down is just not enough fuel. Not sure why this is so common in old Deeres, just answered this same problem a minute ago! Check the directions I posted under JCB 210s fuel down in Tractor loader backhoes forum and see if that makes sense to you. There are lots of other ways to check for fuel flow, that's just the one I find quickest. I'm guessing that if you're priming pump is working fine, as it seems to be if you can prime it, then there's a blockage before the priming pump. Let me know how it works out or what you find.

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-03-10 12:35

    One thing I run into a lot on the older JD's is the check valve on the top of the injection pump being stuck or plugged. It's the fitting coming straight out of the top of the pump. Take the line off (it's like a 1/8" JIC), then remove the fitting from the pump. There is a small glass ball and spring in there that should move freely. If it's plugged it will build pressure and can cause the engine to die.

  3. #3JTWAT2014-03-11 00:18

    You may want to also check the pickup tube in the fuel tank. Sometimes they have a screen on the end of them that will clog while the engine is running but then clear a bit when is dies. Just enough to allow the engine to start before is sucks trash again.

  4. #4Old JD2014-03-11 10:01

    make sure the vent tube inside the fuel tank filler neck is clear.

  5. #5Kap4502014-03-11 20:35

    Thanks, I will check all these solutions. The engine slows down then dies. I haven't had any time to take a look at it. If weather is decent tomorrow afternoon I will get on it and fix it.