Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd450 track tension spring mounts

M1tchsc0tt0 ยท 2024-06-01 11:40

Hi all, New to the forum. Working on potentially buying a jd450b trackloader that has what looks like a bad undercarriage. Currently runs and drives but tracks tend to fall off if you run it hard. Currently the track spring assembly and mounts are missing and a rod has been welded in place. Is there a way to fix that so I can put on new tracks / sprockets / idlers. Is this even worth looking at or should I stay clear?

Replies4
  1. #1Drag racer2024-06-04 03:39

    I would stay away from this one,probably 12g for undercarrige and the B series have dry clutches not preferred by most.

  2. #2redneckracin2024-06-04 08:15

    All of the parts were available somewhere. It sounds like a money pit and someone has hacked on it. I think i would steer clear and find one in better shape/better taken care of than this one.

  3. #3TCat2024-06-04 08:32

    I agree with the above two posts, run don't walk away from it. Not knowing what you're looking to pay for the machine to start, even if it was free, you'll have more into it than it's worth by the time you fix just the undercarriage problems you've mentioned. Let alone anything else that pops up that you don't know about yet. Wait for a better machine, it will be less expensive in the long run.

  4. #477Ford2024-06-06 17:21

    I'd run, the dry clutches are enough of an issue on their own. I've replaced the springs on my "C" and it's a big deal, i loaded the spring to almost 15 tons of pressure before it would fit in it's location. I felt like I was carrying a bomb around getting it from the press to the machine to put back in.