Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 700j air conditioning fitting

MattR · 2024-06-01 17:05

Would anyone be able to help me with this. The fitting where you hook the recharging line to the air conditioning system is corroded and unusable. The parts book lists the whole line and not just that individual fitting. The whole line I believe goes along the frame under the seat and even up to the top of the machine. For $400. And it's not even so much the money, although that's always a factor, the fitting is a separate piece. But it is not listed. Would anyone have an idea of what part number that would be so I can order one? I checked with some refrigeration places with no luck. I don't have an air conditioning service guy anywhere near me. We live pretty remotely. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Replies32
  1. #1mekanik2024-06-01 17:24

    Could you post a picture of the fitting? Is it on the high or low side?

  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-06-01 17:37

    You have a machine serial number ? My initial machine search finds (2) hoses with the hi / low recharge fittings.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-06-01 20:54

    There is no serial # break involved with these particular parts. The original high and low side lines were replaced with short tube adapters at the compressor along with fabricated hoses to the rear. The high side hose comes with charging adapter part # # AT318164 The low side hose comes with charging adapter part # AT318163 . @mg2361 may be able to check the thread size of the 2 above charging adapters on Service Advisor.. . .

  4. #4MattR2024-06-01 21:12

    Yep I know I would need that. But I just thought I would get started talking with people. I will get a picture and serial number tomorrow

  5. #5MattR2024-06-01 21:14

    Thanks a lot for the information. It is the bigger of the two fittings. I want to say that's the low pressure? I will get a picture and serial number tomorrow. I guess we are hoping to avoid buying the whole hose assembly. Because the fitting itself is separate from the hose. It's not one piece. The biggest thing is where the hose runs looks like a real pain. So we're hoping to just change the fitting. I will get more info tomorrow. Thanks again

  6. #6mg23612024-06-02 06:29

    Sorry, no can do . Both Circus Advisor and Parts Advisor say nothing about the fittings. I agree with mekanik, post a picture of the fitting in question. It sounds like you are after a valve assembly and not the Schrader valve inside, correct?

  7. #7MattR2024-06-02 09:05

    Pictures will come this afternoon. Thanks again for everyone trying to help

  8. #8Jonas3022024-06-02 10:42

    If it does unscrew you can probaly find one on amazon after checking the threads, Unless you have a certain need I hardly ever use the high side fittings You could splice in a new port if your feeling handy https://coldhose.com/collections/fittings

  9. #9MattR2024-06-02 12:54

    When you say hi-side fitting I'm not sure what you mean. It is the larger of the two fittings. It seems to be the one that is the size for recharging. We need to recharge the system

  10. #10Monkeywithawrench2024-06-02 13:28

    I strongly believe Part#2 and #9 in the illustrations (Refrigerant line valve) are the shraeder valves for the R134 charging ports. On the R134 charging ports.......the high side (should be smaller diameter hose) is the bigger diameter fitting. The LOW side (larger diameter hose....also may have a blue cap over the port) is the smaller diameter port. It's opposite of what you'd think it would be. If your fitting is as corroded as you say.......good luck getting that shraeder valve out. So to recap: LOW SIDE......bigger diameter hose..........small charging port HIGH SIDE......smaller diameter hose........bigger charging port

  11. #11Jonas3022024-06-02 13:46

    Good news then you don't have any use for the high side fitting You will be charging from the low side fitting it is the smaller of the two

  12. #12Diesel Dave2024-06-02 14:42

    I agree, I had a second look at Deere‘s generic picture of the actual part #’s and they are schrader valves for sure.

  13. #13mekanik2024-06-02 14:56

    The only time I have seen service ports that were removable was on systems that were retrofitted from R-12 to R134a. This machine is too new for that. Someone should be able to make you a new line for a lot less than John Deere wants for one.

  14. #14Monkeywithawrench2024-06-02 18:39

    Ditto on this........ Although, you may be hard pressed to 1.) Find someone who makes AC hoses 2.) Makes the AC hoses AND has the parts........or is willing to get them. So much easier to just order the whole hose assembly from Deere, CAT, Ford, GM, etc. Parker hydraulics also carries refrigerant hose and fittings. Link to PDF catalog: https://www.parker.com/content/dam/Parker-com/Literature/Hose-Products-Division/Catalog-4400-PDF-Files/HPD_4400_Catalog.pdf Go to page A53 for the start of refrigerant hoses........that's just hose, not fittings. These hoses use 26 series fittings. Go to page B-9 in the catalog and you can find all of the fittings.....probably the ones you need. Your local Parker store might be able to help you out. You pick out the parts and how much hose you need. They'll order the parts and crimp them on for you. You'll just have to remove the hose......or hoses if your doing both (which you probably should.......your in it this deep, why not do both at the same time??) Just make sure that when you make a new hose up, the fittings are clocked the correct way (aligned on the hose) so your not fighting with fitting trying to rotate it 180 degrees, while getting it threaded onto the fitting..........in a tight space........up side down.......with no room to work. NOTES regarding Parker online catalog: The tabs are hyperlinked.......go over and click on one and it will take you to a page. The index is the same way........hover over 26 series and click, it will take you right to that page.......no need to scroll. Now.........I get to go fight with the push lawnmower ***........the Queen commands it!! (She just came in......"The push mower won't start........your turn!!") Edit: It doesn't have to be Parker. Whoever does your hydraulic hoses can probably make up AC hoses too.......I use Parker, have their presses and make my own hoses.......but I still need to buy parker fittings and hose. The PUSH MOWER AWAITS!!! (Hairy eyeball from wife while I type)

  15. #15ahart2024-06-02 19:43

    There’s a whole lot about this statement that I disagree with. The high side fitting is extremely important in any diagnosis on an AC system and it is the correct fitting to charge through, if you’re doing it right, static charge as a liquid.

  16. #16Monkeywithawrench2024-06-02 19:54

    ABSOLUTELY 100% AGREE WITH IMPORTANCE. Charging systems......I will use vapor on the low side. What I mean is......the R134 bottle is valve up. Only gas going into low side. And I use a scale to measure the weight of the charge going into the system. If you charge the system with the valve down.....your running liquid into the system. If your charging on the low side, you could liquid slug the compressor. Think hydro locking a piston on the engine.......bad things happen. with the compressor running, the low side should be 20-40 psi. The vapor pressure of the bottle will be enough to keep putting refrigerant into the system. Charging on the high side.........that pressure will be between 120-300 psi depending on ambient temp and humidity......your going to have a tough time getting the bottle to fill that system on the high side. However........that being said.......you need to monitor both the high side and the low side pressures to see what the system is doing. Honestly, there is alot to it. Thermal dynamics ........pressures, temps, exchange of heat. I honestly don't do it enough........I live in NH. Basically a 2-3 month season. First hot day........guarunteed 6 calls about AC. Gotta dust the brain off and remember all that crap. Both ports need to be functioning to get a true read on what the system is doing.......THIS IS IMPORTANT!!

  17. #17Monkeywithawrench2024-06-02 19:58

    This Ahart changing an AC condenser on a dozer........(just poking fun.....might be true, might not) Gotta keep the operators happy....but they don't care that we work outside, in the 100F heat, fixing their climate control so they can stay comfortable......while we suffer!!LOL

  18. #18Monkeywithawrench2024-06-02 20:00

    This is a water cooled cab.......AC has been deleted!!LOL (This happened late December one year.......this is AFTER I dove and dragged it up the bank)

  19. #19ahart2024-06-02 21:12

    Like I said, charging as a liquid on the high side is done with the engine off, starting with a vacuum. Look at an AC diagram, you’ll see why it makes sense. There’s more system volume on the high side than on the low side. Another reason to do it is because on the high side as a liquid is the same state the refrigerant is in when it is static in the can. If you charge as a gas on the low side, it has to change from liquid to a gas which causes a temp drop in the can and it can become difficult to get the refrigerant to keep moving without a heat wrap. Charging on the high side should never be done with the compressor on due to high pressure. Most of the time if you start with a vac on the system, I can get a full charge before I ever start the engine. You’ll never do that on the low side as a gas which means you’re running the compressor very low on refrigerant at first. The shop AC machines charge on the high side as a liquid also.

  20. #20MattR2024-06-03 16:09
  21. #21MattR2024-06-03 16:23

    View attachment 313950 View attachment 313951 View attachment 313952

  22. #22Monkeywithawrench2024-06-03 17:17

    Amazon.com So that's the low side with metric threads-o ring seal. What are the threads on your port?? SAE or Metric??

  23. #23Monkeywithawrench2024-06-03 17:23

    2685 OE R-134a Service Port Assortment – FJC fjcinc.com

  24. #24MattR2024-06-03 17:23

    Pictures posted

  25. #25Monkeywithawrench2024-06-03 17:23

    AC fittings are like hydraulic fittings........ So many different flavors and colors and sizes.

  26. #26MattR2024-06-03 17:24

    I stopped at the auto store and they tried to match it up. They say it's a M14 with a 1.0 pitch

  27. #27MattR2024-06-03 17:24

    Yes for sure

  28. #28Monkeywithawrench2024-06-03 17:27

    Did you try to get the shrader valve out?? Try to get the shraeder out. You'll never (I don't think) find good steel fittings like that. With it off, you could use a torch to heat up the fitting if the shraeder wont' come out. Install new shraeder, new O ring and your off to the races. If it were mine, this is what I would do.............try the valve first........easiest option.

  29. #29Monkeywithawrench2024-06-03 17:33

    Get caps for the high and low side service ports, put those on. When you put the valve in, new oring on, and put the fitting back onto the system........coat it liberally with Nylog. Its an HFC compatible lubricant/sealer. Like putting grease on an O ring before you put it back together. Lube up the o ring, put some in where the shraeder gets depressed, and then when you put the cap on....a dollop on the fitting itself to keep it from rusting. https://www.amazon.com/Refrigeration-Technologies-RT201B-Gasket-Sealant/dp/B008HOSQQQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2UM6BM26YN1K8&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ZIQjuDnM_CKTG7w-pV4De9ciJ5V2s0JHua6KYRwl3YPkLxdIy-dcmKD509j3FXdGUbPIDMXMz0cv1ytcA2LBoUcgUG9OOa_0rysgbBXHWn0J7cfwB-lbsrenU2_U5FaSIPmHhbIXGOOjsUvrfx0EDYZgw_pp4-XkDX6hy61hw7aQ8TNGJK2CN9C5L_qr35oEj-UeKYLPoX0sAfyqCYLrxCH5QTw1NyEsf74zFUDAGwk.ukMT9ETL6Uv-iAOK9Y0q-SJtvbpJf0nJNcp0VIMyJNc&dib_tag=se&keywords=nylog+blue&qid=1717450104&sprefix=nylog%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-1

  30. #30Joe H2024-06-03 17:34

    1 steel fitting $20 https://www.amazon.com/Aeroquip-Steel-Style-R-134a-Service/dp/B095X98VTJ/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ggS93tfew_c3mMWMPF8_R6FDVGol7Jz5ty0wPd0Ew3tyOcllA7cpSGjVNB7U8GJqISSNYYiJ9GK9vabrd0zV2gqD7a2UsTbRj2avZ5gmlc0DbZH6Ek7oE0gjI76LVvB5-1J5eqmzyfax0l1hkt058tAOsjjDQ2BI2MOjC7b2toL08c7srVVBwNcuMLV044_EMw_5NLd_zTM9Pm29LPO5nPOaLGUpqVIcg4ur4XY1WCyLLRWNPbH-0E3ryMSosz-fwBUR9-uj7GBdnURRmE40R5oIT4yJ7ymEvTkCKv3cz-A.AJ93fnLmsHnCJ4RYhiATP_dZCxlI0tjm3bqTawW5MYQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=R-134a%2BLow%2BSide%2BService%2BValve%2BPort%2B-%2BM13%2Bx%2B1&qid=1717450300&sr=8-1&th=1

  31. #31Monkeywithawrench2024-06-03 17:37

    Ok...........but don't you need the high side?? I believe the fitting in your hand is the high side.

  32. #32Diesel Dave2024-06-03 18:23

    R134A high side service port M15 pitch 1.0 , no idea on availability but at least some part #’s . Delco 15-32790, 1532790 Napa 409574 Santech MT0151, MT0178 4 Season 59972 Omega 3550125 FJC 2574 Supercool 13265-1, 13265-5 BMW 64509177577 Mercedes 0028305484 GM 19192821 .