Just out of curiosity, Are Jeep and booster common terms in the United States or else where? Or is it only an Albertan/Canadian term. I am not a truck driver, I was just wondering.
I call the rear axle group after the trailer both a "booster" and "stinger". Some people also call it a "tail wagger". I call front axle group in front of the trailer a "jeep", but also have heard the term "jeep dolly", "front dolly", and also "jo dog". Justin
over here people call my land rover 4x4 a"jeep" and the wheel group are referred to as bogeys . :bash Stock
Same as JB there, except for the stinger. I considered a stinger a booster that can be hydraulically raised all the way up like in a Super Dump truck or the ones on a concrete truck that raise all the way so it won't be in the way of the chute.
Holy a fellow calgarian..... I think jeep and boosters are removable and the stinger is permanently attached (have you seen any of those cement trucks with the raised axle) I know it doesnt directly answer your question but i think jeep and booster is a very common term.... but being from the same place i cant confirm!
jeeps and dollys here
Jeeps and Boosters: I've wondered about some of this myself, but I think a jeep goes on the front of the trailer... acting kinda like an auxiliary, or tandem fifth wheel, and a booster helps support (boosts) the back of the trailer. As I said, "I think" this, so there a good chance it's wrong... lol Here's a picture: OCR
Jeeps and boosters: This might be a better picture of the arrangement... but most of you have probably seen something like it. OCR
Looks like a Trail King 65ton (TK130) w/ power tower, west coast 2+2 rear, rear bump steer, 9 axle setup.
The Ozzie way The part in the red box's is what we call a dolly down here we don't really use any thing like a stinger when we float gear around and we also all most all ways load over the rear with the ramps
It's interesting to see different set ups and hear other terms. Heavy hauling has always been somehing that I found fascinating.
Jeeps and boosters: Copy that. In fact, I've always thought it might be an excellent occupation to be involved in. Is my discription more less right... jeep in front, booster in back? OCR
That's how it is here in Alberta, at least here in the Calgary/south those are the only terms I have heard.
Jeeps and boosters: Thanks 3thirteen... :thumbsup Just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base there. OCR
Heres my take on it...jeep=axles hooked via 5th wheel stinger= addition of one or more axles at the back of the trailer, not permanently attached but not using a 5th wheel Booster= drop axle on the tractor or the trailer, permanently attached with the capability of raising and lowering. Although I think you could have a jeep at the back of the trailer, that you could call a stinger(?) Never pulled any jeeps. Jeep guys would know better than me. My hats off to those guys and the guys that pull those giant wind blades that look like that are 150ft long with steering on the back 2 axles. Watched a guy back one of those the other day....what a trip watching those rear axles turning. I guess the escort had the remote to operate that? Like I said, just my take on it.
My mate pulls them wind farm blades over there and yes the escort or some one in the escort car has a remote for the rear steering, And yes it can be hard learning to use a dolly or (Jeep) The worst part is the backing I was OK with the backing as i have towed doubles before what I find hard is if you do a lot job with the dolly then take it off you some times find your self steering the wrong way when backing
I have only heard reference to boosters by the State side guys I am not aware of anything similar this side of the pond. Over here I know of ..jeep dolly ...which has a fith wheel and sits between the Tractor unit and trailer. We also have an inter dolly which connects rigidly to the front of the deck and has steering axles. On the tractor units we can have 6x4 = double drive or a 6x2 with a centre lift axle or a 6x2 with a Tag axle which lifts.
Yair...can any one tell me why the U.S. trailers are set to run with so little ground clearance. Is it for getting under overpasses and whatall?...I wouldn't like to tow one, they'd bottom out out around here.
Yes we have way too many low bridges and overpasses. all of our big trailers have hydraulics to lift the trailers up. this trailer has 24'' of lift in the front and 24'' of lift in the rear not really that difficult to get around, very rarely have to get out to lift it up to get over something
Here are some heavy oil field hauling jeeps and boosters. I'll confuse some of you more by adding middle axles lol
Heres a better view of the middle axles:
An even better view!: