Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jlg 40h dying when switched to platform

Keith Lavery · 2017-08-03 11:38

2001 jlg 40h. My lift was working fine, and then it died in the air and so I had someone start if from the ground and when they would switch it to platform it would die. I finally had them just bring me down and when I switched it it worked fine. Later it quit working again with no luck figuring out what happened. I can control from the ground but can't move the machine because the drive contols are in the basket. Any help would be appreciated since it is parked in front of our local fire station The basket was rotated to the left all the way when it quit working the first time if that helps. Also I noticed that as soon as the switch is flipped, I lose all voltage at the meter.

Replies4
  1. #192U 34062017-08-03 14:30

    Don't know much about those older JLG units but I have run into a similar issue on the newer units. On those it seems in most cases its the harness where it flexes at the platform rotator.

  2. #2Keith Lavery2017-08-03 14:55

    Any idea what wire I might be chasing?

  3. #392U 34062017-08-03 17:43

    No clue unfortunately. We never had anything that age in our fleet. Just going off my experience with other JLG units. Could try and wiggle the harness where it flexes and see if you can replicate the problem a few times.

  4. #4OFF2017-08-03 21:10

    Most common cause of that problem is the dual fuel switch in the basket.