Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deer 843H fella buncher cutter

chris allen ยท 2015-03-02 21:45

got a cutter that the head keeps stalling down while clipping trees, after cutting the head tends to slowly pic back up,,, any idea what kinda pressure we should be see ing at the head, any ideas what going on with it. an solutions

Replies6
  1. #1rmllarue912015-03-03 19:41

    Hey Chris could it be as simple as needing new teeth? I don't have pressure specs. Most likely low relief settings or worn saw motor. Service manuals from dealer don't seem to be to expensive at least for the 753g books we got. What brand head is on it ? Gn Roy has been helpful to us if that's the head you have an should give of case drain specifications for saw motor efficency over the phone keep us posted

  2. #2chris allen2015-03-03 20:09

    thanks for reply,,, I went up to the fella buncher this morning an spent half the day with gauges hooked to it running in circles an I tried adjusting out the stand by pressure an max run out pressure , an I never could see any change in the gauge. needless to say the customer had already been turning a screw on the saw motor, he screwed it in an out several rounds (thinking it would increase the psi on the head) but that screw controls the heads rpms , so I did some calling around to other techs. an a guy told me that the stand by psi should read round 900 psi while machine running with out the head running, an the max run out should read aroun 3500 to 4000 psi, so I went in circles turning the valves on the pump an not seeing any change in psi, so I went all over the cutter looking for a relief valve hideing somewere, never found anything tho, but I did notice that when I turned the smaller screw on the pump I heard tha engine load up when I cranked in on the screw. an not seeing the gauge change I was like what the heck. got to looking futher an found out that the test ports onside of machine was labeled but the hose had been removed an reinstalled to there identification stickers. after I changed out the line to its correct test port I was able to see the gauge move, needless to say with the saw head dead headed with my bar stuck into the blade so it want turn I adjusted the long screw to get my stand by pressure back to 900 psi with the saw head off an at low idle, than I cut the head on an adjusted the high side still with the bar in the wheel so it want turn an turned the short screw in till I got psi up to 4000 psi, that fella buncher went to spinning like it should,,, but we still need to go back now an paint the center hub under the disc an paint it black an put a photo tach mark on it an read rpms to see if were turning 1250 rpm s

  3. #3rmllarue912015-03-03 20:19

    Sounds like you got it sorted out now :drinkup

  4. #4chris allen2015-03-03 20:35

    yea a blind hog can pick up a acorn every now an then, luckly I found a guy that took time to help me over tha phone,,,wish there were more guys like that an not give the same lip to ya as if ya was calling a dealor an they tell ya ILL GLADELY SEND A TRUCK OUT tough when ya don't have resources to rely on for troubleshooting.

  5. #5rmllarue912015-03-03 20:47

    Oh yeah spend plenty a time finding diagnostic info and making tools part of being a small independent I guess sure makes little things difficult sometimes though

  6. #6chris allen2015-03-03 21:00

    here on ur profile pic , is that a international service truck,,, if so is it urs , how does it work for ya, whats the hp, ive got a 4700 with the dt466e that's only 195 hp,,, an I tell ya it struggles bad . didn't do enuff research before getting the 4700 to set my service body on,,, I need more motor,,,,ive noticed that theres several differ dt466 s out there with differ hp ranges. was wandering if ya had a international an what motor ya ran an ur preference of the truck. was wandering bout getting another one but with the big 250 hp class.