It died as I was working and it acted like it was starved for fuel. Changed the primary filter and a secondary inline filter. I tried priming the engine by cracking the line at the injector furthest from the injection pump. The line only drips a drop or two, still no fuel. Anybody have any ideas as to what to try next?:Banghead
Is there a transfer pump with a priming lever on it on the side of the engine? That's what you need to use to bleed the air out of the system. But first you have to find out where it was plugged up, unless the tank was empty? I'd start with the fuel supply at the tank, there's usually a screen in there on Deeres. Look it up on jdparts.com if you're not sure. Crack the injectors lines after you know you have fuel going through the injection pump.
You need to check fuel flow starting at the tank and work forward from there. Like Delmer said it could be a internal screen or the valve could be clogged. If you have fuel there make sure it reaches the lift pump, then see if it pumps and fills the filter housings. Take a breath, it should be relatively easy, also check the return line for stoppages, it will do the same thing.
Make sure you have power to the injection pump shutoff solenoid, you should hear or be able to feel a click when turning the key on. Check fuel flow per previous advice. If you don't get any action out of it after making sure you're getting fuel to the injection pump, then pull the window plate of the side of the injector pump, two screws, turn the engine over and make sure that the rotating disk is rotating, there's a fixed timing mark and one on the disk. If it isn't rotating your pump has seized and the shaft has snapped to save the gear train from damage. Rare but it happens.
Thanks! I will check all these and let you know what I find.
Okay....found the fuel flow stops at the primary filter housing. The fuel pump works fine and has pressure right up to the housing. No fuel past though....Took the fuel filter off as well as the glass bowl, both of which I had previously cleaned, found no problems. reassembled the whole thing and still no fuel past the housing. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Take it all apart and blow the passages out with compressed air, might have some debris plugged up in there.
Thanks Lantraxco. Will do, is the housing just bolted to the block or are there issues I need to be aware of when removing it?
You shouldn't have to take the housing off. Remove the blocked line and blow it out both directions. Use a tiny wire if needed. Check that the fuel comes out of the line before hooking it back to the housing. There aren't any issues with removing it though. Is this the rectangular glass filter?
Should just bolt on. All you really need to do if you have air available is disconnect the fuel lines and blow through the fittings, don't need to remove it unless you need to carry it to the shop or something. That bolt in the center is hollow, make sure you can blow through it, I think the fuel comes in through that and comes out holes in the side of it to fill the glass bowl? Can't remember exactly though.
Delmer, it is round. See picture below
Old style, there was a serial number break and the rectangular glass filter replaced this unit. These as I recall were prone to leaks and over tightening led to broken bowls.... don't ask me how I know! LOL
Does it squirt fuel out of the housing with no filter there? Maybe put the old filter back on or check to see if they function the same.
Yup.. blow out the housing, inlet. outlet. tube.. install the filter and hook the inlet pipe back up.. leave the outlet pipe unhooked, now pump the hand primer .. the fuel should fill the filter, purging the air out the outlet pipe.. IF IT DOESNT, your blockage is at the tank. Once the filter is full, connect the outlet pipe.. loosen the inlet connection at the injection pump and pump the hand primer.. get fuel there..and tighten.. Listen for the sh/off solenoid clicking when you turn the key.. don't try to start it.. just listen.. NOW, loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS, just a few turns.. and crank the engine.. once the fuel is THERE.. tighten the lines and off you go..
Finally got around to working on the 300B yesterday afternoon. I feel like a complete moron....:duh When I replaced the primary fuel filter I put the top "O" ring on the filter rather than on the casting. :Banghead You guessed it.... All fuel was stopped at the filter and could go no further. I took the casting completely off and studied how the fuel passed through the filter and realized that I had blocked the only possible exit of the fuel by placing the "O" ring on the filter. Once I put the "O" ring in its proper place bled the system she fired right up. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and ideas. :notworthy I cannot wait to get off work and go play in the dirt.
Better that than putting it on so that it's not filtering and only find out when the injection pump dies.
True Dat!
I had considered that possibility....wonder what an injection pump cost for a 1973 Backhoe?
Depends on the engine serial number but here's the newer choice in reman: http://www.wimerfuelinjection.com/parts/2432 The older one is about the same price, depends on where you find it.
That is about half of what I thought it would cost.
Then you were spot on if you went to a Deere dealer for a reman!
Although I have a good relationship with my Deere dealer. I would probably just have it rebuilt in Abilene.
That's usually the best way if you have a little time. Glad you got her fixed!
AND I'm 1/2 of that.. $$
You know, I think you could stay busy from customers on here and referrals, just give us an address to ship to with a UPS call tag for the return trip. Non-emergency surgery, yeah?
Thanks LAN.. But my boss' wouldn't think highly of me undercutting their business.. so that's why I don't publically list my address.. I started coming here to HELP the "little guy" instead of watching them get RAPED, day after day.. and do nothing.. The "farmer" gets to revive a 1960's-70's tractor instead of scrapping it, cuz of the price of an injection pump overhaul.. If I had a dollar for every time I heard.. "the WHOLE TRACTOR isn't worth that much".. I wouldn't have to go to work today.. Lol
Pump, I will definitely keep you in mind when it comes time to rebuild the pump.