Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 300b transmission

Jklittle · 2020-05-07 20:47

Hopefully someone can help, I bought a 71 300b. When in forward everything is fine, once I put the transmission into reverse and begin to let out on the clutch it kills the engine like it is stuck in both forward and reverse. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1Delmer2020-05-07 21:37

    What does it do in neutral? What kind of transmission do you have? like number of gears and where the forward reverse and gear shifter are located.

  2. #2Jklittle2020-05-07 22:08

    It idles in neutral, not sure on what kind, it has 2 levers I assume the left is high low park reverse and the right is 1,2,3,4 with the reverser on the dash.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-05-07 22:35

    https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=551007

  4. #4Jklittle2020-05-08 12:09

    That helped with the shift pattern, thanks.

  5. #5Delmer2020-05-08 13:22

    That link says it's the same as an ag tractor. Search for transmission reverse locking up with that farm tractor model and see what you come up with on the farm sites. Another thing you could try is to lift the rear wheels an inch off the ground and turn the wheels by hand to see if they turn freely both directions, maybe get a helper to hold the clutch, or prop it and see if the wheels will turn with the trans in reverse, it will be much harder because the clutch disk will be spinning, and you'll have to use the differential lock to keep the other wheel from spinning the opposite direction. All with the engine off of course, key removed/fuel shut off in case you get a wheel spinning and something drops into gear and then it's running.

  6. #6mg23612020-05-09 05:26

    Welcome to HEF JK ! Does it work fine in "all" forward gears and only locks up in reverse? With the clutch pedal out, FNR in neutral and your gear shifters in any gear will it idle OK? Or does it have to be in park to idle OK? What gear was it in when you placed in reverse and it stalled?

  7. #7Jklittle2020-05-09 11:34

    thanks I haven’t tried it in all those formats but as far as I know everything works in neutral or park and all forward gears work regardless of high or low. I will try all of the positions and respond asap. I purchased it this way and the previous owner said it just started doing it

  8. #8Jklittle2020-05-09 16:27

    I put the reverser in all 3 positions with the 2 shifters on the transmission in neutral and it will idle but when you put it into reverse it wants to kill the engine

  9. #9mitch5042020-05-09 16:58

    When you say put it in reverse it kills the engine, do you mean put the floor shifter in reverse?

  10. #10Jklittle2020-05-09 18:15

    no the dash shifter the 2 floor shifters are both in neutral

  11. #11Jklittle2020-05-09 18:18

    I may be missing something I have a phone number I can give if someone can help

  12. #12mg23612020-05-10 05:44

    One more question. If all shifters are in neutral will the machine roll if on a slope or pushed? If both shifters are in neutral and it stalls in reverse then I suspect there is damage to the reverse planetary gear set. The whole thing spins as one when in forward and when in reverse the planetaries sun gear gets locked to allow the planetaries to work their mojo to spin the output the opposite way. If something failed inside the planetary that it can't work it's magic and it could create a locked up situation.

  13. #13Jklittle2020-05-10 18:04

    Gotcha we are going to run pressure test tomorrow after work and go from there