Hello, I'm new here. I have a JD 310SG backhoe that it won't go forward. Reverse is very strong though. I've been reading here and there but I still have been able to figure out what's wrong with it. The local John Deere dealership said its one of the solenoids its out or a relay. In other words an electrical issue. I have had this backhoe for 13 yrs. so I just don't have experience on backhoe transmission. So I'm learning as I go and learn parts names. I will appreciate if anybody can help out.
Welcome to HEF Jesus ! I cannot help you because I never worked on JD construction equipment. Someone will be here soon and help you.
A 310 SG is a whole different animal from a 300D. You're going to have to wait for the fewer literate Deere experts here, or get a repair manual. If you want to check the electrical yourself, do you know how to use a multimeter on volt, and ohm settings? that should be all you need. It would be helpful to find which solenoids are which, but not absolutely necessary. I'm assuming you asked the dealer over the phone, they didn't look at it right? They could be wrong, just so you're prepared. But the transmission is fixable one way or another. Was this issue sudden, or did the transmission lose power gradually? A little more history might help. This question was originally posted in a thread about a 300D . Delmer suggested having its own thread was a better idea, and who am I to disagree? ~Digger242j~
I sure thank y'all for your responses. Delmer about the multimeter usage, I might have an idea on how to use it, however I don't have that much of confidence on that. I still have the need to do it on my own not just for the obvious reason ($$ savings) but also to learn new stuff with the help of forums like this and more importantly helpful people like yourselves. About the conversation with the John Deere dealer, yes it was over the phone. Here's some more specifics on the issue: 3 or 4 weeks earlier prior to the down condition that is in today as I was using the machine, I noticed that for a few times while working back and forth after I put it in forward it was a delay to engage perhaps just a few seconds, then several more seconds. Then I did the obvious, I checked the fluid and it was low (tip of the dipstick) and added some fluid waiting for the engine get rid of some air if there was any. Soon after that, everything returned to normal. Then a week ago, same thing happened. Again I added just a little more fluid, check the level but then the engaging process was still more delayed than before maybe 20-30 seconds but this time around as i checked the fluid I noticed some foam on the dipstick but I made sure it did not smelled burned, which bring me to the the condition it is in today which started a week ago. Yesterday I let the backhoe running until it reached a good operating temperature and I put it in forward and engaged once. I said to may self BINGO it had some air in the transmission. Nope, it wouldn't engage forward again. That was it. The reverse as I said before is working great. I learned online a few days ago about the forward solenoid located on top of the transmission on a diagram which is the third out of three away from the transmission filter but after I removed the rubber floor and a slot in the cab, I did't see it. Any more suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Check the vent on top of the transmission. You can see it from the left side of the engine compartment looking back towards the transmission (looking over top of the starter). Make sure that is clear. The 3 solenoids on the top left of the transmission are for the MFWD (if used), Diff lock and the Park Brake. The transmission control solenoids are under the top cover of the transmission control valve which is mounted on the top backside of the transmission. Seldom do those solenoids go bad (not to say they don't go bad sometimes). Most likely you have an FNR shifter problem. That was a common problem with those machines. You want to have it tested to be sure, they are expensive. If the shifter is OK then you may need to get your dealer to check amps at the fuse box for the transmission circuit to verify it is doing what it needs to be doing electrically. You would also have to have pressures checked to check mechanical function.