Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310D Injection pump timing

Joe R ยท 2014-11-06 20:55

I have a 97 JD 310D, I placed the pin in the flywheel on TDC and checked my timing marks on the injection pump, The marks where off about the width of a timing mark. I loosened the three nuts and rotated the pump clockwise (viewing from behind the engine) lined up marks perfectly. Rotated engine 2 rounds checked again. Marks lined up right on. He is the problem I don't understand. It idled at 850 rpm before I adjusted the marks now it is idling at 1050rpm. I can lower the rpm but why did the idle speed increase ? Did the fuel go in sooner by turning the pump clockwise or did I retard it ? The reason why I wanted to check the timing is that I have noticed it having more black smoke than usual. It has 6400 hours on it and has never been worked on. I was told to check air filters (new) then timing and after that change the 4 nozzles. Can the timing be advanced or retarded for more power ? Any Ideas? Thank in Advance Joe

Replies1
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-11-06 22:49

    The timing was probably ok to start with. It is supposed to be advanced a few degrees. You retarded it by turning it ccw. Normally when installing a pump you set it on the timing mark then use a special gadget that measures the rpm and monitors the #1 injection timing. You set your correct low idle and high idle. Pull the throttle wide open then use the trans or hydraulics to load the engine to the rated RPM. The tool will show what your dynamic timing is. You can adjust the pump one way or the other to obtain the correct spec. I doubt the timing was the issue, I would check the fuel supply including filters and the intake/turbo long before I messed with the pump. A slightly advanced pump will give a bit more power and a bit more smoke on acceleration. You don't want to go too far though.