Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310D Reverser Issue

farious · 2015-11-15 22:07

I have an issue with the reverser in my JD 310D. Here are the symptoms: The machine doesn't go into gear right away when I switch the parking brake off. When I switch the parking brake off, I have to flip the FNR lever back and forwards while at high RPMs a few times before the parking brake releases fully. Once the machine is in gear and the parking brake fully released, the machine switches forward to reverse quickly and normally. The parking brake never releases enough to disengage the warning beeper. The machine does not have much power. It won't climb onto a trailer in 2nd gear. The reverser is spitting fluid back from the reverser dipstick tube. The fluid that comes back up is foamy. Does this sound like clutch packs, or something else? Is there another test I can try to make sure that this isn't a solenoid or an internal leakage before I tear the reverser out of the machine*? The diagnostic manual says that foamy fluid can be from a clogged suction screen. Could this be it? Is my next step checking for metal and fibers in the suction screen? One point of interest is that the solenoid on the reverser is an aftermarket solenoid. * How big of a job is this? Is there a cheaper rebuild kit than the one I can get from JD? I keep seeing references to a Case rebuild kit on this site, but I haven't seen any part numbers.

Replies6
  1. #1Deon2015-11-16 07:03

    This is not an expert opinion but I know that the park brake is released by means of hydraulic pressure. I always assumed it was from the main hydraulic pump. But since your having trouble with the Borg Warner reverser, I'm thinking maybe the park brake is released from the pump in the reverser. Either way, your reverser needs attention. I would definitely drop the pan and look at the suction screen.

  2. #2farious2015-11-16 11:34

    The parking brake is released with hydraulic pressure from the reverser, NOT from the main system hydraulics. There appears to be a small inline filter/screen before the parking brake release that also might be clogged. There may or may not be 2 of these in the system in addition to the suction screen.

  3. #3farious2025-02-27 11:13

    Although it's been 10 years since I posted this thread, there have been several people who have privately messaged me about this thread asking if I have fixed the issue. I have not. Here is what I have done and discovered so far: * I rebuilt the reverser. This did not fix the issue. The reverser did not have any clutch material in the reservoir when I took it apart. * I discovered that the foaming only happens when I turn the parking brake on. * I discovered that after I turn off the parking brake, I can manually force the parking brake lever further with a small crow bar and it will fully release the parking brake, allowing the machine to have full power. Photos of this are below. * Based on the above, I now believe that the issue is in the parking brake release pod, which is similar to a parking brake pod on a truck with air brakes, but hydraulically actuated instead of air actuated. * I believe that what is happening is that the seals inside of the hydraulic brake release pod are leaking, which forces air into the hydraulic oil. When the parking brake is engaged, the pressure going to the hydraulic brake release pod is released, and the spring inside pushes the hydraulic oil and now-entrained air back to the reverser, causing the foam to spit out of the top of the reverser fill tube. * I have been running this machine for almost a decade now by turning off the parking brake in the morning (which pressurizes the hydraulic brake release pod), fully releasing the parking brake with a small crow bar, and then not turning the parking brake off for the rest of the day. The reverser doesn't foam in use, only when the parking brake is turned back off and pressure is released from the hydraulic brake release pod.

  4. #4Vetech632025-02-27 11:30

    It’s still not fixed……10 years later!?

  5. #5farious2025-02-27 11:42

    No, still not fixed. It just isn't a high priority - this machine is only used once or twice a month, and once I realized that this issue wasn't causing too much of an issue, I have just lived with it. At some point, I'll purchase a new hydraulic brake pod assembly and swap it in, and hopefully that will finally put this to bed. Unfortunately, that assembly costs around $1500 now.

  6. #6farious2025-03-03 10:22

    I can't seem to get photos attached to this thread. The website throws an "oops" error when I try to post them. I will try again in a few days.