Hello, Apologize if this had been addressed. I did not find on search. I own a 95 JD 310d. It has a high pitch whine when moving in reverse, but only under load such as going up hill, or back dragging. The reverser engages quickly both directions, pulls well in both directions, and the fluid looks very clean. No other issues other than the whine. The whine is most like an older older truck in reverse. Sounds like it could be a normal sound for an older hoe. Does anyone have experience with this? Getting ready to drop the oil pan on the reverser to look for oil, but also looking for some info from the more experienced JD folks here. Thanks in advance for your info.
I'd sample the oil in the transaxle. Could be the ring/pinion.
My 1992 310D does wine a bit in reverse. I wouldn't call it loud but definitely noticeable. I think its normal. Is this wine louder now than before or is the machine new to you?
Thanks for the replies, The machine is new to me. Didn't notice until it was reversing while under load. Doesn't sound like a horrible noise such as metal to metal or anything like that, just a whine like you describe. Not very loud. BTW Typo in my original post; Meant to say "drop the reverser oil pan to look for metal" Thanks for the info -