Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310E broken stick,need advise on how to weld it

D9H ยท 2013-12-19 22:54

I have a JD 310E extend a hoe and near the top of the stick by the pin the inner part of the stick is cracked, this has obviously happened to this machine before because there is 3/8" plate welded to the top and bottom of the stick,the sides don't have any plates welded on but it does have welds ant one has cracked. How should I go about welding it back up? Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1overworked2013-12-19 23:31

    Could you post some pics? Most people don't root out the first crack, or cut it open, they throw a rod or to at it, strap on some more rusty **** metal and tell you to hire better operators, there are some good fitters on here but we need more info like pics. Overworked

  2. #2D9H2013-12-19 23:51

    Ok thanks, I will have to get some pics tomorrow, we noticed it was cracked around 5 when we stopped to refuel and grease and it was nearly dark, I'll post a few tomorrow

  3. #3DMiller2013-12-21 10:32

    If just cracked take it off, V-notch it and fill weld with 7018 make a initial pass then notch from the opposite side and counter fill, clean up any slag and finish weld all around, will kill any hidden crack that way. Not sure I would add braces if you trust your welding. Look to stress points at the weld, maybe take a rosebud to it after the welding to release any built up localized heat and weld induced stresses then let it cool slowly.