Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310J Backhoe Hydraulic Fluid

ERNRAM ยท 2015-02-20 17:16

Hi, I am about to change the hydraulic fluid in my John Deere 310J backhoe, but in the maintenace planner the decription calls out Plus-50 (engine oil) but the part number calls out HY-Gard hydraulic oil. Who has a 310J and what are you using? Thanks, Ernie

Replies11
  1. #1ERNRAM2015-02-20 17:21
  2. #2Canadian_digger2015-02-20 19:20

    Check for another page in the manual for type of oil you can use. It will list different one for diffent tempatures also. I have 310SJ and use 10w 30 Diesel engine oil.

  3. #3ERNRAM2015-02-20 19:32

    Canadian Digger, Thanks for the input. The screen shot from above is actually the the JD Operator Manual (OMT210365) section 3-2-12. support.agadco.com/manuals/OMT210365.PDF For the 310G, JD recommends HY-Guard I went to the JD dealer and they were telling me that engine oil was better for water contamination, so he believes that is why they went away from HY-Guard starting in the J series. Kinda stange...does that make sense to you? Thanks, Ernie

  4. #4ERNRAM2015-02-20 19:37
  5. #5ERNRAM2015-02-20 19:42

    https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/...ionHydraulic.htm#_Hy-Gard_and_low-viscosity_1 Hy-Gard oil can be used in most applications calling for 10W-30 or 5W-30 engine oil for transmission and hydraulic oils. Note: Hy-Gard should be used in all applications calling for JDM J20C.

  6. #6ERNRAM2015-02-20 19:47

    I guess this is where the confusion comes from

  7. #7Deon2015-02-20 20:13

    I don't know how anyone can make sense out of all this oil stuff. I understand wet brake requirement, temperature and viscosity and all that. But when you go from hy-guard to motor oil and then some use auto transmission fluid instead of what ever. If 10W30 is good for a 310 G, why would it not be good for my 310D. After all, the seals, bearings ad gears should all be made of the same materials.

  8. #8Wburke20102015-02-20 20:43

    I have 310j and 310k, I know it the k we use rotella motor oil just like in the engine. but not sure what we run in the j without being at the shop. Walter

  9. #9Deere tech2015-02-20 23:51

    During the G-series Deere changed pump manufactures. The new pumps were tested extensively w/ engine oil with no problems. While engine oil would probaly be fine with the older style pumps since they never tested it Deere doesn't recommend it.

  10. #10ERNRAM2015-02-21 07:51

    Hi Tech, You echoed my conversation with my JD dealer exactally. The change in pump manufacturers coupled with a higher temperature range of the oil for southern environmentso seem to have driven JD to the oil path. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Ernie

  11. #11jcbackhoe2024-01-07 18:26

    I was told it's better for the pump but I don't like it I think the hi guard is better for seals my opinion