Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JOHN DEERE 318D LEFT CONTROL ARM MOVES TO REAR BY ITSELF

T. Vorster ยท 2022-06-02 03:16

Good day. We have a JD 318D skid steer. After startup, the left control arm starts to move to the rear all by itself, causing a terrible noise and forcing the engine to a stop. Anyone can help with advice on what the heck this could be? Much appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612022-06-02 05:48

    Welcome to HEF T ! Make sure all the linkage and the arms on top of the hydrostatic pumps are in good condition and tight. I would recommend performing the steering lever and centering plate adjustments if linkages are good. Procedures can be found in the Operation and Test manual TM11398. Note: DO NOT perform any steering adjustments with the machine on the ground. Always have the machine blocked up off the ground.

  2. #2T. Vorster2022-06-02 10:05

    Thank you very much. I will have to get myself a O&T manual. Your prompt reply and advice are really appreciated!

  3. #3Txhayseed2022-06-02 21:59

    Man those JDs are the worst controls to set. Like mentioned check the controls good. They have bushings and glider pins that wear out over time as well as the dampers. The best way I have found to set them is jack machine up and block it or jack stands. I flip the cab and sit in the machine and hold levers. have some one start machine and release parking brake then the controls try to go off. I hold them and try to fight them into neutral and hold while adjusting. By far deeres are the hard ones to set in my opinion.

  4. #4T. Vorster2022-06-03 02:12

    Seems like I am in for a rough ride. Comments like yours just makes the job easier and quicker, being forewarned. Thank you very much for your input.