I have a 2010 John Deere 319d with the Power Tech E 2.4L engine. It seems like I am getting oil in the fuel (and maybe vice versa) For a little while it has been emitting black smoke when under change in load but not much. Then was brush cutting and something changed it started smoking a lot (Black) I checked the oil and it was low, I checked the fuel and it was Black. My thought was it was the lifter pump o-rings. I changed the eight o-rings on the lifter pumps but did not see a change. Any ideas? Here is a video of the black smoke: (on youtube)
As for the smoke, air intake system good? Turbocharger? Were the injectors tested while they were out? As for the fuel, it looks like asphaltene, which is a byproduct of the fuel being exposed to heat. It could also be bacteria or algae. The only way to know for sure is to perform fuel and engine oil samples.
I took a look at the turbocharger, it wiggles a bit side to side, it seems solid in and out (Posted on youtube) you think that is causing the excess black smoke under load? The black fuel: I got some fresh fuel today and eliminated the fuel tank, I flushed the filters but did not change them, I changed them less than an hour of run time ago. what would the best way to have the fuel tested? I did not pull the injectors Thank you for the help Attached is a video of the turbo, picture of the fuel before and after running for 15 min,
Black smoke is either a lack of air or too much fuel. That turbo has a bit more play than I like to see. I see in the picture, the pushrods are out. Did you collapse the lifters when reinstalling the pushrods? Check them for straightness. if any are bent, then that could be an issue. As far as your fuel being black, it is not engine oil. If oil could get into the fuel rail, then fuel could get into your engine oil. Then your engine oil level would rise, not fall. Plus it would smell like fuel. Does your machine sit a lot? Is the tank only 1/2 full as it sits? The only way to have the fuel tested is to get a comprehensive fuel kit from the dealer, or find an independent lab that can do it. It is an expensive test. If I recall, it is close to $200, and I do not think it will spell out specifically that there is oil in it. Check your messages for information on fuel darkening.
I did bleed the lifters I did get to the solution on the black smoke (i think) it was the hose coming out of valve cover. I found a that it was cracked and wore a hole in it. Can not believe I missed it, I pulled that hose off multiple time. I put some foil tape around to test it and the excess smoke stop. I still need to figure out the black fuel. Thank you so much for the help!
Did you check your messages? I sent you information on black fuel. That'll do it.
The Black fuel seems to have solved itself. I did another test after I "fixed" the hose, it stopped making black fuel. Maybe it was soot getting back to the tank somehow. The picture show what settled at the bottom of the "Black fuel" again, thank you for all your help!
Glad to hear you are up and running.