Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 323E No Start / Bad Seat Switch

Todd71106 ยท 2025-12-24 16:59

Greetings and Merry Christmas from Shreveport, LA, I've got a 2015 JD 323E 1T0323EXXXJ277960 with EH Controls. The right side final drive went out back in 2021. Earlier this year I finally got around to rebuilding it. I installed it and the machine seemed to functioned normal. I used it for a couple hours to help tear down an old house. When we finished I notice I was leaking Hydraulic Oil. It looked like might not have tightened down one of the hoses good enough. So I parked it so I could look at it later. 6 months later I am now starting to look at it. When I try to start it I just get one big click sound when pushing the start button. I replaced the battery and still get one click when trying to start it. My question is, My seat switch is broke so I've been using a paper clip in the seat safety switch pig tail that the safety switch plugs into. Could this be causing any "No Start" issues? Also, is there a starter safety cut off feature for Low or No hydraulic fluid? For example, Ford F250 diesels with a 7.3 will not start if the engine oil level is too low. Add a couple quarts of oil and it will start right up. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.. Again, Merry Christmas

Replies6
  1. #1Arny L2025-12-24 18:16

    I highly doubt its your seat switch, since it was working ok before. After 6 months, there are any number of things that could develop, and cause your problem. I would do a good look around for any rodent damage to wiring. Next would be to check for 12 v at the starter, solenoid wire, when the key/button is in the crank position. Would need a helper to do this. If 12v is present, then a good inspection of all battery cable ends, pos and neg, for tightness, followed by voltage drop test on positive and negative cables. You need multi meter, to do this test. Y tube can help if your unfamiliar with it. You could also give the starter a few good wraps with a hammer as a quick test. Maybe starter is gotten water in it and seized up from sitting. Unrelated, check your hydraulic fluid prior to doing anything, since you did have a leak.

  2. #2Tones2025-12-24 19:23

    Quite often is the solenoid not engaging because of corrosion on the contacts. Remove the starter then the solenoid which should expose the arm going to the armature. Clean up at the contact areas and reassemble, you may have just fixed a starter motor.

  3. #3Todd711062025-12-27 08:49

    Thanks, That's some really good info. I'm gonna go work on it some more today. The starter is difficult to access because I cant raise up the arms, but I'll figure out a way to get it out.

  4. #4Simon C2025-12-27 17:31

    Some times rapping lightly with a small hammer on solenoid will get a person another start if the solenoid is on its way out. If it starts then move to good location to raise arms and lock and tackle starter. I did it recently for a guy and he changed the starter later. Simon C

  5. #5Andy FitzGibbon2025-12-30 10:32

    If the crank bolt is accessible (not familiar with Deere) you could try rotating the engine a little by hand and then see if the starter will spin it. Things could be a little stuck from sitting. If it works, I would still look at the start circuit, as that probably indicates it's on the weak side. Also try holding the key in the start position, if you haven't already, instead of just clicking it on and off. If there's a partial bad connection in the solenoid circuit, sometimes holding the key on will build up enough amperage to push the full 12 volts past the resistance.

  6. #6Simon C2025-12-30 10:43

    I usually have some hold it in start position for me while I tap the solenoid. Has worked many times for me. Doesn't fix the starter, but you know then that starter is in need of repair. Simon C