Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 Backhoe won’t move forward

Jack1 · 2017-01-08 23:48

Hello I have a problem with my john deere 410 backhoe’ It will move reverse but not forward.I have checked the linkage and the pin and it was all ok’ I checked the low pressure PSI for the forward and reverse with a gauge’ Reverse was 100 PSI and Forward was 40 PSI. I checked the sump screen and it had a little **** on the end but was ok. I took a part and checked the clutch control valves and nothing was stuck or sticking. I change the piston & spring because it had a couple score marks on it and changed the pin fasteners and springs in the clutch control valve. Still did not help so I ended up splitting the backhoe and found out that the reverser clutch plates where burn up and the clutch disk where warped so I change all them and the sleeve rings. The piston seem to look good so I just change the piston seal. Everything else seem to look good to me in there so I put everything back together and put new filters and hydraulic fluid in and fired it up and tried forward and it still wasn’t moving so I checked the PSI again ‘ The reverse was still about 100 PSI and forward was about 60 PSI. I know it’s should be a round 165 so I’m losing pressure somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestion what to look at now. I will probably have to split the backhoe again. I have never did one before but it wasn’t too bad just not sure what to look for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1sbarrett2017-01-10 16:21

    if you can get a copy of the service manual,it will give you instructions on how to adjust the clutch linkage,it has an effect on the pressure that goes to the clutches,i am in the middle of putting my 310a back together after an engine overhaul,forward clutches,and a reverse brake inspection. i am not a heavy equipment repair man,but i have gotten some good advise from people on this website.i am an automotive engine builder,so the engine repair is something that i am familiar with,the hydraulic portion is something that i get advise on quite frequently. i was having problems with mine not going in to forward gear until it warmed up quite a bit,but when it finally engaged,it would operate fine without slipping in any gear,so while i was repairing the engine,i put new clutches in and new sealing rings,like you did.hopefully a repair manual might be of some help.

  2. #2Jack12017-01-10 18:07

    Thanks for replying to my post Sbarrett Your the first one that has replyed out of 100 views I have a Technical Manual coming for my 410 backhoe and I hope it's the same as a service manual or repair manual' Never seen the word Technical manual before so I'm hoping it's the right one.

  3. #3Jack12017-03-13 22:14

    OK just an update on what I have done to my backhoe' I have split it apart again and did a air test to it and found out that it was leaking air behind the clutch drum so I looked and the sleeve behind the drum had two ware marks in the sleeve from the metal seal rings so I ordered new sleeve all the bushings and all oil seals' I got them and put them in and did an other air test and no air was leaking out any more so I put everything back together again and started it up and did a port test and psi was a little low' I adjust the clutch linkage and got the psi in the bottom port of the clutch control valve to 150 psi and checked the forward port and it was now between 135 to 150 psi and before it was 40 psi so I backed it out and tried it in forward and it moved slow in first and second but it feels like it is slipping or the clutch is not grabbing or locking up right. Does anyone have any suggestions what to look at now. It can't be the clutch disk and plates because I put new ones in.

  4. #4Jack12017-03-15 10:47

    Any Suggestions before I rip it a part again' I guess I have to figure it out myself' Out getting any response here on this forum

  5. #5sbarrett2017-03-15 11:36

    i geuss this sounds obvious,but are you sure that your dry clutch is operating properly,sounds like you replaced all the parts that i put in mine,and mine works fine.

  6. #6Jack12017-03-16 02:32

    Thanks for the reply. I checked the dry clutch and it looked ok' I 'm thinking it something to do with the clutch drum. I had it repaired and welded up because the c clip broke and wore the shaft down so I had it welded backup and turned down with the c-clip grove put back in because I could not find another drum. It looked ok when he finished it but that is the only thing I can think of now that there still must be something wrong with it. Everything else has been changed.

  7. #7sbarrett2017-03-16 06:17

    sorry i can,t be any more helpful,but i really am interested to find out what the problem is. hopefully you will take time to let us know the results,thanks Steve from ga.

  8. #8Jack12017-03-16 11:17

    Thanks for your reply ' That's ok I just thought I would post here and see if anyone had the same problem or close to it. I will figure it out and then let you know after I get it fixed. Thanks for your suggestions

  9. #9Jimspaintandrepair1313@gm2023-03-26 21:31

    John deere 410 with backhoe, no forward or reverse and no hydraulics

  10. #10mg23612023-03-27 04:59

    Welcome to HEF Jim ! Should have started your own thread rather than piggy back an old thread. Straight 410? Oil level good? Filters and suction screen in the bottom of the transmission been checked? Charge pressure to the hydraulic pump been checked (that oil comes from the transmission pump)?