Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450G Angle Cylinder

SlowJeffMo ยท 2024-02-16 15:37

Alright, this is my first dozer and I need some help. The angle cylinder needs to be repacked, and for the life of me I cannot get the thing off. Ideally, I would like to fix it in place by taking the pin out on the barrel side and leave the other side attached to the blade to avoid that mess (aligning bushings, 6 way cylinder, etc.). However, I cannot get the pin out. I've soaked it overnight, beat it with a hammer, etc. It looks like the plain bushings are corroded to the pin as they do not rotate freely. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to just cut the pins (not sure if that's even possible)? Will heat help? Am I even going to be able to repack the cylinder this way, or does it need to come completely off?

Replies6
  1. #1Acoals2024-02-16 18:40

    Take the cylinder off on the piston end and leave the barrel on the machine. Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the six way and bushings or whatever. There are ways to get the pin out, probably either cutting the pin out with a cutoff wheel or a lot of heat, but those methods aren't very desirable.

  2. #2SlowJeffMo2024-02-16 19:30

    That is originally what I started with, but those pins seem to be frozen to the bushings. Someone recommended to tack weld a short piece of 2" pipe centered over the end of the pin, use a tapered pin that fits in the 2" and drive out with a sledge. They also recommended a lot of heat.....and violence. Seems I am going to have quite a battle no matter what.

  3. #3Acoals2024-02-16 20:57

    So it is the pins on the blade that won't come out? Those ones will probably be a bit easier, you can actually drive the pin. The pipe idea isn't a bad one, just don't use something that is hardened to drive the pin. Those appear like they would be fairly easy to cut, use a 7" angle grinder (or a gas demo saw) and cut through the rubber dirt seal.

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-02-17 02:52

    Or a Sawzall. Not sure if a 7" grinder would let you get deep enough the cut the entire pin. Would be pretty awkward with a gas chop saw. You could always cut or burn the rubber seals out and torch the pins with a big tip. If you had a welder, you could weld a big nut on the pin and try to get it turning with an impact wrench or a long snipe. If you can turn it, it should come out easier.

  5. #5Vetech632024-02-17 09:56

    20 lb. sledge with a steel plug on top of the pin and a bit of heat. Once you get it moving, she will come out. ........and your wife will be impressed with your stamina using that sledge. So much so that you may get lucky that evening.

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-02-17 11:06

    Sorry, but I have to ask if you removed the bolts that hold the pin in position. I seeum in the photos.