The warning light and buzzer have been coming on with the ECU code 97.16. water trap full. This happened to another operator. I changed the filter/ separator because I don't know it's age. I had drained a lot of water out of old filter, had cleared code and it ran okay for a bit , 20 minutes before light. Coming on. 1569.31 was also present when I originally heard the complaint. I was told the light come on and the machine was operated for a few minutes then it lost power. Now, I have installed the new filter and I operated the machine for over 45 minutes and the light came on. I shut it down before any power loss. Check the codes and the 97.16 is set. I drained the filter into bottle. It looks okay but not sure how to tell if there is water. Is there that much water in the fuel tank to keep setting this code? Any suggestions or similar experiences with this issue? Do John Deere ECU have a limp mode when operated with this warning signal active. That would account for the 1569.31 code.? Thank you in advance for help with this
First, a serial number is needed. Those machines have more than one fuel system over their life. So when the code popped back up again, the water separator filter bowl has clean fuel? Yep. 1569.31 is an engine derate code.
The fuel did not appear water diluted.
I'll get that serial number shortly....
The ID tag 1T0450JXP0196651
I stand corrected. The seperator had a lot of water that I drained out.
It’s very common if it had that much water, the sensor probes are rusted.. check it..
Where might that probe be located?
Usually at the bottom outside of the canister..
The WIF Sensor (Water In Fuel) is located in the bottom of the glass bowl.
My model does not have a glass bowl in the fuel system. It has a "spin on" looking filter that is secured to it's mount with a ring. It has a drain on the bottom. No electrical component. Hmmmm
It is supposed to have a glass bowl (#35 above) on that spin-on looking filter with the sensor in it.
Uh oh...so it has been modified? Now, I wonder why it started acting up now? Unless the person that was using it brought it back without the bowl and sensor. This is getting weird.
I cant speak for JD to much but on a Cat with those kind of filters if you buy a interchange filter at the auto parts store they come with the bowl built into the bottom like that and nowhere for the sensor to go Soo OEM filter new bowl and sensor find where your wire is hanging and back into business
You need to drain the fuel tank before changing filters.
To show you what a newbie I am with diesel equipment, I embarrassingly share that I backtracked my search if the dozer for more fuel system components.. I found a seperator with a bowl and sensor next to a hydraulic filter. I had to wipe off a lot of filth covering the transparent bowl. AHHH HAAA, the bowl was full of sediment and clear liquid. The sensor was caked with sediment. I cleaned it all up and am waiting for uncontaminated fuel be before moving forward. I hope this is the root of this learning adventure. I'll post the outcome. Thank you again for all your help