Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 850C

tripplec ยท 2021-12-20 11:14

I have a JD 850C with lever control and it will not move, long story is it would only move in reverse 3 years ago and it was move into the shop and left to sit, I was finally given the ok to see what was up, so I put new batterys in and find that the dash is bad all the lights were on and the read out was bad, I put in a new updated dash and with a little time playing with it I got it to move, code came up a F695 which says it has an electrical problem, I turn off the engine and restart and all is good, I recheck it the next day and it wont move, I play with it and it moves all functions work for 2 hours then back to no move, I talk with the local dealer and order a new speed sensor the one up front under the cab, I put it in yesterday and still have same issue, sometimes I get the f695 code but not all the time and that is the only code I get, I did notice that when it messes up I loose speed reading in the dash and the red communication light on the trans controller comes on, I move the lever to neutral and after a short time the red light goes out and speed comes back on in dash, I visually checked the wiring harness and have found no bad wires, I pinned out the wiring from the controller to the dash and all seems good, I am going to do a transmission calibration to see if it will calibrate and possibly give me a different code, also when I start it the transmission filter light comes on so I replaced the filters I did both of the filters one on each side, light still comes on and will go off after it warmes up but comes back on when red light on controller comes on, I have the service manual so that is not an issue, this was my father in laws machine and he has passed away so we are trying to get it ready to sell at auction in a couple of months, any help is appreciated thanks

Replies3
  1. #1mg23612021-12-20 12:25

    Welcome to HEF tripplec ! Serial number? Has the power and ground been thoroughly checked going to the TCU? Checked while backprobing and see if something changes when the issue happens, like 12 Volts drops from the controller power wire or 12 Volts appear on the ground wire. What is the charging voltage from the alternator?

  2. #2tripplec2021-12-20 15:35

    Thanks for the reply ser# TO850CX811877 Ill tell you what I did at lunch time this work deal gets in the way of my dozer repair LOL, I called my brother in law and had him start it to warm it up, the plan was to try and get it to calibrate, when I got there it had been running about 40 min. I hopped in and everything is working fine, the filter light would come on and off for the first 20 min. of driving it but after that it stayed off, I ran it a good 50 min with no problem is it possible that I have the wrong transmission fluid in it? when I changed out the speed sensor yesterday I did notice that that oil was thick but didn't really think nothing of it, I don't know when the last time it was changed or what the father in law could of put in it. What should it be? we are probably going to change it out. The brother in law is going to run it he has some projects to finish up so we will see what happens next, any other advice?

  3. #3mg23612021-12-21 04:44

    That would be caused by an electrical issue, whether wiring or the TCU itself. If you have the Operation and Test manual TM1588, then go to electrical section, references, accessing service codes in the monitor. Look to see if there are any stored codes and post them. Clear them, then try a calibration. My recommendation would be Deere's Hydrau fluid.