I am trying to replace the fuel water separator filter on my John Deere 490E excavator, but I can't find it. I had a mechanic helping me out who disappeared, and he drew off a water bottle full of water somehow... I don't think he used the drain plug in the bottom of the fuel tank as that would be very difficult to manage. Below is what my manual shows for the fuel water separator. To me it looks like it should be next to the hydraulic filter from the schematic. I also have a video below of what my excavator actually looks like and me looking for the fuel water separator. New video by Joel
I can't say on that JD, but sometimes fuel water separators are optional, and/or removed over the years. Follow the fuel line from the tank to the transfer pump, it should be between those if there is one. I'd be draining the tank of water before you start it the first time every time you use it, until you get no more water, then every week until you get no more water for a while. If you're having fuel problems, a bigger filter with a bigger inlet and bigger hoses, like 1/2" or bigger, and a cheap oil filter will let you run long enough to get the gunk out without plugging endless fuel filters.
Fuel filter/water separator was not used on the 490E until serial number 025000 and higher.
Thank you! My serial is 20154 so I must not have one.
Thank you Delmer! I bought a new ball valve to try to replace the old drain that seems to be broken, so I can drain it if water before each use. I also like your idea of putting another filter in front of the fuel filter, I am not sure that is within my real of mechanic skills yet. Is there a link to a how to online?
No, I haven't seen any guide on how to do it. Easiest would be a hydraulic filter head that you could buy many places, and hook that up to the drain valve even, then you have a good shut off, and you'll get the gunk out of the tank as fast as possible taking off the very bottom of the tank. Use the biggest pipe fittings possible between the hose and the filter, then the same size fuel hose is fine after the filter.