Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 544K after treatment issues

Steven Basalyga · 2020-05-20 13:44

Afternoon, I have a John Deere 544k that has 2235.7 hrs. Unit was involved in a salt project. Fixed a bunch of corroded plugs in the engine compartment and when we sent it to dealership tried charging us 17k for all new harness and stuff. Company didn’t wanna pay that so now I’m stuck. I have codes 3516.9- diesel exhaust fluid tank header communication fault- I checked can bus at header and have 60 ohms. 3216.9- Inlet NOx sensor communication fault 3226.9- Outlet NOx sensor communication fault some assistance would be awesome. I don’t have access to computer. Just a run down of what I have done so far. Removed and cleaned all earth grounds on machine. Removed cannon plugs on right side engine compartment and replaced pins due to corroded wires. Fired machine up and I got these codes up now. I was tracing a 4334.3 and that code has since gone away. Any help would be amazing. Thanks you

Replies11
  1. #1mg23612020-05-21 05:39

    Welcome to HEF Steven ! Machine serial number please.

  2. #2Steven Basalyga2020-05-21 08:38

    Goodmorning, machine serial number is 1DW544KZLJF687569, machine has 2235 hrs to be exact.

  3. #3mg23612020-05-21 12:31

    I would be opening up a discussion with your dealer. DEF and NOx sensors are "emissions" codes. Based on your serial number and the emissions level of that machine as displayed in the serial number (the "F") I would suspect that machine should still be under emissions warranty. Short of harness repairs that are obvious (electrical tape, butt connectors, etc) or damage from tree limbs, rocks, etc, the harness should be covered if that is the cause of your codes.

  4. #4Steven Basalyga2020-05-21 13:26

    We had this unit at dealer 4 different times. the last time they tried charging us 18k for all the wire harness in unit. the first code is for the DEF head unit it self. communication issue. I have can bus at unit. 60 Ohms, could that code be because the DEF head is bad.

  5. #5BigWrench552020-05-21 17:59

    Canbus usually have 120 ohms of resistance and between the def head unit and the ecm 60 ohms sounds right. It would be more helpful to have a more defined translation of the codes you are having now. I'm not familiar with John Deere but I do have a lot of experience with teir4 final engines. MG2361 is right and the emissions should be under warranty. Post what the codes translate to I or someone can help you better.

  6. #6mg23612020-05-21 19:26

    Where did you take these measurements? The 60 ohms tells you the termination resistors are good, but that doesn't mean the communication is good. Voltages help and having an oscilloscope patterns would help. What is the CAN hi voltage and the CAN low voltage? 3516.09 - Engine control unit (ECU) has lost communication with diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank fluid concentration sensor. The ECU has not detected CAN communication with the Aftertreatment Inlet NOx Sensor. The ECU has not detected CAN communication with the Aftertreatment Outlet NOx Sensor.

  7. #7BigWrench552020-05-21 19:44

    I'd be willing to bet that it is a software issue and would need a software update. That has been my experience when it comes to several things losing canbus communication.

  8. #8partsandservice2020-05-24 11:38

    Another thing to consider, you said you replaced some connector pins due to corrosion. Often when you find the green residue it is has made it up into the wire as well. Load testing the CAN wires may be in order.

  9. #9mg23612020-05-24 17:37

    What he said^^^^so true!

  10. #10meheis332022-10-05 15:15

    Steven - did you ever resolve your problem with code 3516.09 - I am having the same exact problem with my 5100e (has code 3516.09, 3216.09, 3226.09 & 5128.06) any update would be great.

  11. #11kevman62022-10-16 11:28

    We had a similar problem with our Cat loader. Emissions hard parts are covered for 3000 hours or 5 years I believe. The exhaust fluid tank head can go bad if the fluid has sat in it for 6 months or so. Dealer replaced ours under warranty. We also had the Nox sensor codes which also had gone bad. Replaced under warranty. All else cleared up. Your Nox sensors are the same part number for inlet and outlet. You can always change one to see if the code goes away for that sensor. Good luck