Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 544k Rough Idle

pbd05 ยท 2024-11-27 14:16

Just got this thing home, loading it on the truck is when they noticed it was low on fuel (loss power, barely kept running). Got it home, filled the tank and it started up, but it had a rough idle. Give it a bit of fuel and it smooths right out. We changed all 3 fuel filters and the issue is still there. I'm working on getting the code, but it was something along the lines of "fuel solenoid issue or fuel filters". Maybe I'm missing something simple here?

Replies12
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-11-27 14:50

    Post any active code (s). Machine serial # ?

  2. #2pbd052024-11-27 14:51

    0628813

  3. #3pbd052024-11-27 14:58

    I'll get the codes tonight.

  4. #4pbd052024-11-27 18:39

    Here are the codes. The first one was stored before starting, which I cleared, but it came back right away. The other two came up after starting.

  5. #5DGODGR2024-11-27 22:19

    Am I correct in thinking that there are 3,350 hours on the loader? That is when the codes were stored (based on your photos). I have a 544J and we are having similar issues. The code number is different ("Injector Open Circuit, ECU 1076.5"), and we were experiencing rough running engine at partial throttle openings (+/-1300 RPMs), and then at idle as well. Ultimately, it hard stopped to a no run condition (with code, and it was idling smoothly for warm up when it shut off). Deere came out and replaced the injection pump. Everything worked fine for about a day, then, with the loader 3 yards full and raised to dump into a truck, hard stopped again (again, as if someone had shut off the key), and still in a "no start" condition, with same code as the first time it shut off. I guess they diagnosed and installed the wrong very expensive part. My loader is at about 4,500 hrs, and the techs were initially thinking it needed new injectors (prior to coming to work on the loader), then something not rebuild-able on the injection pump (an electronic component on the end of the pump), and now who knows what.....ECU, wiring harness?? They are supposed to come out on Monday. I'll keep you posted here, and request the same of you. I know yours is a "K" model, and mine a "J", but they may be related none the less.

  6. #6pbd052024-11-27 22:45

    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear you're having all these issues, and it's too bad the dealer decided to replace parts without a proper diagnosis. I'm trying to avoid this exact scenario. That's correct, 3350 hours on the machine. I'm thinking that my issue might be the Suction Control Valve. I'm tempted to swap it out, but it's a $600+ part. I'm also having issues with the solenoid sticking in the starter, but that'll be an easy rebuild.

  7. #7mg23612024-11-28 07:11

    Please check your serial. This does not come up. From your description and the 1076 code tells me you have the DE10 fuel system. The 544K in the OP's post will have a HPCR fuel system. Totally different. Were fuel lines and fittings checked for restrictions? Maybe some fuel tank debris got sucked up into a line when it ran low? Unfortunately though, the code you have (1347.05 - suction control valve circuit has high resistance) would not occur with fuel restrictions.

  8. #8pbd052024-11-28 07:17

    Here's the full serial number. 1DW544KZCA0628813 I don't believe the lines were checked when the service was done (I had a friend do it). We were planning on blowing back the line coming from the tank to see if we can dislodged anything stuck on the strainer.

  9. #9mg23612024-11-28 07:24

    That serial works. Check your messages for code diagnostics and schematic. Still check the fuel lines though.

  10. #10mg23612024-11-28 07:28

    You also have new ECU and FLC software available. It might be worth having them updated.

  11. #11pbd052024-11-28 08:43

    This is perfect, much appreciated!!

  12. #12pbd052024-11-30 21:06

    I found a break in one of the wires going to the suction control valve. It was only a few inches from where it exists the cab, the wire was completely corroded for about 1". I cut out the damaged area, spliced a new wire in and the machine runs great now! Thanks for all the help @mg2361