Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 550G final drive

Festus3228 · 2025-11-25 18:19

Hello! I’m new here! I have a John Deere 550G I’m in the process of changing all new bearings, races, and seals. I put it all together and the outside spacer that goes between the bull gear and the bearing on the sprocket shaft moves from side to side. It has 1/4”- 3/8” of play. Is this supposed to be like that or is supposed to be tight fit? Any help would be much appreciated

Replies4
  1. #1Simon C2025-11-25 22:21

    C&C Equipment out of I think Indiana or Tennessee has some good videos of rebuilds to those units. Look them up on You Tube. You wil learn a few things. Simon C

  2. #2Mcrafty12025-11-29 07:51

    C&C Equipment are in Nashville Ind, they just did a rebuild on JD650 finals....they are top shelf in used equipment and they stock a LOT of parts.

  3. #3mg23612025-11-30 06:19

    Was that spacer replaced? Depending on your serial number, there are two different lengths. There is supposed to be a small space between the gear and the spacer, but I can't recall it being 1/4-3/8 of an inch. Below serial number 785187 Above and including serial number 785188

  4. #4Steve Austin2025-12-02 11:19

    Looking in repair manual is inner spacer number 6 in place? If i remember correctly it would be about that thickness that you mentiones.