Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 710j videos!

cat 325ccr ยท 2008-04-11 07:19

hi guys, i was walkin down the block and i saw a john deere 710j digging for a gas line, the gas line was 120 feet. heres the videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbHya8eLGK4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYSwPCh95Mg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZDt7xuggE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt59xeSww1M

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies42
  1. #1Burnout2008-04-11 15:00

    You have to love the sound of that 6.8L engine screaming don't ya? But that has to be the least optioned 710 I have ever seen. Holy cow..... 2wd, without pilots and a standard stick with no quick coupler..... If you look at that other video 710J Laredo..... you will see a guy that should never be near another backhoe again...unless its a JCB.

  2. #2d4c24a2008-04-11 15:49

    sideshift i like the way the operator is swinging his head from side to side to see lucky we dont have centre mounts in the uk only sideshifts burnout i know you like to slag off jcb ,but they are the no 10 seller in the world and are a family run and owned company :notworthy not many can say that so they must be doing something right ,i will take the jcb over the bitsa cnh creation i now operate ,a cat would come second here is a picture of it having the hub seal replaced @500hrs ,but when the hub was removed the circlips holding the planet gears on were missing ,the oil was like grinding paste so we know where they went

  3. #3Burnout2008-04-11 16:43

    While it does suck about the hub seal on that Case.... thats just a NH with some brown paint. I have tried a sideshift backhoe once or twice and I wasn't crazy about it, especially the straight down stabilizers. You get used to looking around the boom, it's just one of those things you learn. As for my bagging on JCB, I have my reasons. They might be a family run company, and they might be number 10 in the world, but IMO they are behind in machinery. The company I'm workin for has a few JCB's, the oldest one has almost 3000hrs on it and its completely trashed.

  4. #4cat 325ccr2008-04-11 16:52

    yea thanks! the john deere was a loud machine!!

  5. #5JS580SL2008-04-11 20:29

    Cool videos. d4c, Little trick with the center mounts is in how you line the machine with the trench. Put the tractor at an angle with the front tires running parallel to the trench with the swing tower on the hoe centered on the trench. This way your not looking around the boom. Other wise, like burnout said you get use to it. I feel bad for you guys across the pond havin to deal with those wannabe cases. Ive messed around with New Hollands and wasnt impressed.

  6. #6bobcat ron2008-04-11 20:48

    TLB's are the most useless machines to use, second to a Truck mounted Gradall Excavator.

  7. #7cat 325ccr2008-04-11 21:13

    thanks for the info!

  8. #8Canadian_digger2008-04-11 21:59

    bobcat ron I have to disagree I think tbls are the most versatile machine out there.

  9. #9bobcat ron2008-04-11 22:03

    They are the worst, they can't load a truck using only one road lane, whereas an excavator can load a truck right behind it. And they get stuck in the mud...................alot.

  10. #10Canadian_digger2008-04-11 22:06

    I guess it all depends on the application.

  11. #11Burnout2008-04-11 22:11

    I've never had a TLB stuck in the mud.... and trust me I have tried to many times. Closest I have been to stuck is when I helped a kid get our 710D out of the mud. He tried driving over a trench, but there were actually 2 trenches. He got high centered with the front tires in one, the rear tires in another and the fuel and hydraulic tanks holding him up.

  12. #12JS580SL2008-04-11 23:46

    Ive burried a 310D 2wd front axle and still got out without using the hoe. Ive seen worse and done worse and never seen them stuck. We use our hoe for everything, its the "auxillary" machine of the fleet. When the 120 is somewere else or the 2 minis then the backhoe covers.

  13. #13DigDug2008-04-12 06:23

    That doesnt look like a Case to me?? Good luck.

  14. #14farm_boy2008-04-12 10:20

    I have to agree that they are not THE best tool to do most jobs that it performs, but they do perform an adequate job of many different functions that would require the purchase of many different machines. I consider it that jack of all trades and the master of none. I wouldn't go as far to say they are worthless. This is one reason that mini excavators and large skid steers have taken a lot of this market away. My problem with this solution is that it takes two operators vs one. That's twice the payroll, insurance and headaches.

  15. #15d4c24a2008-04-12 13:27
  16. #16tuney4432008-04-13 19:14

    Just because you don't have the use for either in YOUR operation,don't make a blanket statement unless you can back it up because you simply can't.I've only had TLB's for excavating for the last 34 years because I know what works for me.Yes,of course there are times when a 360* rotation on a small excavator would be handy,but you simply learn to work with what you have.Like someone else said,you have 1 operator for 2 machines,I can dig,push, carry and load on either end,go down the road if need be without damaging it, it's adaptive enough to add a gazillion attachments,and is considered the most versatile rig around for general site work. As for the Gradall,that's more of a specialty application,but nothing is better for slope contouring---certainly not useless.

  17. #17ZAXIS2008-04-13 19:30

    Why would you need to run FULL THROTTLE to go so slow on such a small trench?? ZAXIS

  18. #18bobcat ron2008-04-13 20:12

    Big Ego's require full throttle action!

  19. #19Burnout2008-04-13 22:42

    I always run our 710 with the balls to the walls. You sit in that beast you just wanna hear that 6.8 screamin, they sound incredible. Anytime I drive ours around site I am constantly revving the engine up and down just to hear the turbo spool up. They are definately the mans backhoe. I believe Tim Taylor was involved in the original 710's design.

  20. #20nedly052008-04-14 05:32

    I am an excavator fan, if there is a job that we can do with the excavator thats what we will take, but truth be know the the wheel hoe is the spine of our company. When our 410-G is not on a job it's in one of our pits as a loader, when it snows it goes in to action, if someone need a job done in the winter thats what goes, not the excavator. We put almost 5 times the hrs on our 8 ton excavator last season, but we would be lost without that wheel hoe. Different strokes for different folks, so dont go making statements like that because it doesnt work for you there are a lot of people here who make there living out of a backhoe and wouldnt trade it for an excavator.

  21. #21ZAXIS2008-04-14 20:15

    I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but that's the difference between OWNER/OPERATORS & OPERATORS OF OTHERS EQUIPMENT. Sincerely, ZAXIS

  22. #22Burnout2008-04-15 01:25

    I know what you mean about the owner/operator deal. I grew up in the 0&0 world but in the last year I have all but given up on our backhoes. Our company looks at the 710's as the beginners machine, so the guys that run them are the greenest of the bunch and have no idea how to treat a machine. Now when I run our 710's I rag on them simply because I have just stopped caring about those machines since no one else will. I look at the 710 as my time to kinda beat on the machine no one cares about. We have one that I have posted a picture of that seriously looks like a J series prototype, the boom and loader are completely black from hydraulic oil leaks. They washed it last year and it looked like it had been painted. You can pour a 5 gallon pale of hydraulic oil into the transmission..... and by the time you put the pale back in the oil storage area.... it's on the ground. Most guys around here make fun of me the way I look after my machine. It's generally clean enough inside to eat off the floor, and I clean my windows every morning, but most of our guys simply look at it as "I'm not makin payments". And.... I like I said, I love the sound of the 710's screaming.

  23. #23Reuben2008-04-15 20:32

    Some one doesn't pay the fuel bill. I would fire one of my guys if I knew they were doing that.

  24. #24jmac2008-04-15 22:31

    Since this thread is started what do you guys think about this idea? I own a 16,000lb excavator, dozer, skid steer, 20,000lb roller and a 36,000lb excavator. I am thinking about of buying a back hoe. I have had many jobs that a mini ex is two small ( don't own one anymore) , but the job is on backtop or concrete. I have to bring ply wood to move around on and this can be a real pain and then to clean up and move material around I need to have the skid on site also. I was going to buy another skid steer so I have a machine at the shop, at the topsoil pile, snow plowing, and loading salt into trucks for the winter and extra machine for doing two jobs at the same time. After pricing out a skid steer over $30,000 I am thinking about a used backhoe for the same money. I think the backhoe will do alot more than the skid steer can, and on the small jobs could be the only machine I need. I see that some of you guys don't like New Holland but that is the best dealer I have here and they have a L110 4x4 ext hoe for around $30,000. I started another thread asking about using my skid steer forks, auger and power rake on a backhoe, if this possible I would not have to buy these for the backhoe, and could plan on maybe a hammer and tamper, any one do this?

  25. #25digster2008-04-16 15:04

    how much are the new 710j's goin for?

  26. #26Burnout2008-04-16 18:25

    Our new 710J came out to around 200k with the different options we put on her. Welcome digster..... decided to migrate from Facebook over to HEF?

  27. #27digster2008-04-16 18:30

    You CIA?.. Haha ya a few of the team members are on facebook and we all operate the username as well so it could have been a few people... we are kinda of baffled as to how you knew. 200K... nice chuck of change. Was it worth it?

  28. #28Burnout2008-04-17 01:14

    I don't know if it was worth it, we're not allowed to touch it. It's being moved to Ft McMurray, so I have been stuck on the 2006 710G. Yes... I am CIA

  29. #29dirt digger2008-04-17 10:46

    just another ignorant CAT fan....haha, get behind the controls of a real backhoe and you will change your mind hey burnout, check out those new pictures i put in my facebook account of the work i did monday...i've got plenty more if you want to see them

  30. #30digster2008-04-17 16:36

    Hey burnout what do you mean by that? What is the guy doing that is not kosher/right?

  31. #31dirt digger2008-04-17 18:58

    when he is running the hoe he is very sloppy. A lot of banging and clanging and just not very smooth. in the loader part he is switching from reverse to forward way too fast, as you can tell when his front tire lift off the ground. If you read the comments though apparently that is the Deere proving grounds, so they are making sure it can handle even the worst "operators"

  32. #32Burnout2008-04-18 01:05

    He is shifting at full throttle, and that is brutal on the shuttle unit in the machine, I have seen the effects of this on a backhoe. And for him running the hoe, he is brutal on that thing. Thats a new machine and by the looks of it, she ain't too sloppy yet. He is slamming the bucket into the ground, swinging into the ground and bottoming out the cylinders. I have had some experience with the Deere Pilot controls and they aren't hard to be smooth with. A 710 is slow enough that you have to work at it, or just have no talent to get those sounds coming from it. As for being at Deere's proving grounds, I have my doubts on that, I dont think that video would have made it to the internet. That looks like someone just messing around in a field with a machine.

  33. #33nedly052008-04-18 05:28

    I watched that video too, and I was thinking all the same things you guys are, but if you read the comments you'll see that it was at a proving grounds for Deere, then the machine was shipped back to Dubuque for inspection, and that machine would never be sold. One thing is for certain, if there was a weak spot in that machine that guy would have found it. I would not let him on my new 410-G. I guess thats the kind of operator you would want at the proving grounds though!!!

  34. #34Burnout2008-04-18 12:57

    Well in that case.... tell him to grease up the travel lock lever mechnism on the hoe.... it's bad enough I have to listen to it squeeling at work when no one greases it, but I have to listen to it in a video now too. None of the smaller backhoes seem to have the problem, but the lever going to the lock itself, when it rests on the boom yoke and you swing it scrubs just enough that it starts squeeling.

  35. #35scrib682008-05-23 20:41

    cool videos

  36. #36Bellboy2008-05-31 01:57

    Personally, anyone WILLING to do that to machine, should be shot. The way to treat your machine is the way you treat your job and your car. surely u wouldn't go slamming ur car into sidewalks and trees, and deffinately not throwing your gears around as though its an olympic sport. Personally, i like the Bell (Deere), i think its better than the cat. (so says my name.) He wouldn't be sloppy if his boss was around...

  37. #37Burnout2008-05-31 21:08

    ACTUALLY.... I do tend to bounce my vehicle into trees. It just kinda.... happens you know. ps. I drive a Jeep

  38. #38Bellboy2008-06-01 04:27

    Let me rather put it like this: if your spending up to 9 hours: the whole day almost, you wouldn't want your second home to be the most uncomfortable, broken, jerkiest machine, would you?

  39. #39Bellboy2008-06-01 04:47

    I finally managed to find those clips, and those chaps are way too close to the machine, especially with an operator like that. Then again, if you have a death wish...

  40. #40Burnout2008-06-01 11:49

    I understand what you mean about the operator, and I think he shouldn't be on a 710... especially with how slow they actually are. As for being close to crappy operators, I spent an hour or so this week standing on the stabilizer of our 710D teaching a guy how to dig up a fire hydrant. And as bad as that guy is.... if I took a video of my operator you'd nominate this character for an award. The microswitch for the shuttle shift fried so the tractor had forward and reverse.... no neutral. Instead of telling someone so we could get it repaired, he ran it like that for a day and a half. Could you imagine trying to put your stabilizers up so you could move?..... Ready.......Set.......... GO. I should have got one of the packer girls to stand there waving the green flag everytime he was about to move.

  41. #41purerocklandsca2010-01-28 12:11

    Well said Zaxis. I'm young but a third generation backhoe man(590 super m) and nothing drives me crazier than someone holding a backhoe wide open and riding the controls. Dad's still using a 580 super E with over 12000 hrs, original 3.9 never been touched. He digs at 1600 and i've seen him embarass newer machines with that old thing, mainly a guy with a 580 super m. The other guy is all about wide open and ride the controls. Dad'll throw enough dirt to bury the m, and burn roughly a 5 gallon can of fuel a day.... to the other guys four 5 gallon cans....Makes perfect sense reving the **** out of something for nothing tho when you're a) not fixing the thing when it breaks or paying to fix it B) PAYING FOR FUEL

  42. #42JS580SL2010-01-28 20:22

    I dont know the circumstances these guys are under but I do the same work every day and they look slow as molasses. I run a 06' 580M turbo. 710 is way to much for this kind of work. 580M size does the job, Super M just right, 590 is nice right spot, anything bigger is just a pain in the butt especially on city side streets like this guy is on. Not tryin to sound cocky, they just look slow. I wouldnt be surprised bein a new machine the guy still not in "tune" with it. Normally running gas main its all production. Round here find some of the most talented hoe ops on gas main crews/utility companies. Im not talkin bout the actual utility companies themselves, the subcontractors.