I have been looking at Excavators and Blow By in the John Deere's seem to be pretty common. Are these just a looser made engine like a Detroit? I have heard people call a 60 series "Them John Deere Engines", never thought a lot about it till now. The series a I'm asking about is a 6081 engine. Does anyone have any experiance with one? I guess my main questions are: How long before a rebuild Do bad do they leak oil That's the killer for me since I burn a lot. And any Fuel or Electrical Issues Thanks, Rod
I've looked at a bunch of Deere excavators built in the nineties up into the early century mark that produced prodigious amounts of crankcase pressure. These machines were primarily 892 and 992 models. It seems though that after around 2005 the Deere engines have pretty much cleaned up. Keep in mind that there was a transition period of new regulations where manufacturers had to make many changes. I also saw the problem in Cummins 6C and M11 series engines. I have looked a plenty of Deere wheel loaders lately and haven't seen much for blowby on those engines. You can check crankcase pressure with a water tube manometer. Usually I figure a reading of over an inch at high idle loaded as heavy as possible means you are going to start seeing leaks and possibly hard starting in cold weather. The complaints I have heard on late model engines of all types concerned fuel filters clogging, injector problems and the dreaded electronic issues. Good Luck!
Some of those old Deere motors with a lot of hours have blow by The last one we bought , the prevous owner fixed that, he cut off the blow by tube and ran a hose to a hole he cut in the exhaust by the muffler and it went up and just looked like exhaust coming out :Banghead