Bought a John Deere 401C LOADER Tractor with 3 point hitch and PTO. It HAS a foot clutch... It would have to have a clutch for the PTO unlike a 401 Backhoe tractor... I can't seem to get a definative agreeable answer on how to properly operate the machine from local dealers... The Pto and the foot clutch seem to be the things that make the dealers give differing answers.:Banghead The machine between your legs has 2 levers. On your left a 3 position stick, Hi/Low and N. On the right a stick with four speeds. The machine has a hand and foot throttle. Under the steering wheel on the left side a lever about 8 inches long Forward Nuetral and reverse.. Making me wonder if the machine is torque converter drive, if you leave the hand throttle at idle and use the foot throttle the machine behaves like my Ford 555 TLB with torque converter drive. let go of the foot throttle and drive torque /power fades to nothing. Hit the foot throttle and it takes off just like the Ford. Even in high gear when you flip that lever the engine bogs and it takes off STRONG Problem is I'm told if this machine IS Hyraulic Clutch reverser doing this will wear out the clutches fast. With the machine running at about 1400 rpm if you change direction just flipping the reverser like it has hydraulic clutches , hold on the direction change is kinda....prompt/rough. Let go of the throttle, let RPM drop and direction change is smooth like my Ford when you throttle up again.. I've been told to keep the throttle in operating RPM range and use the foot clutch just for inching purposes ( and to operate the PTO ) and do all the regular clutching with the lever.. Again, Kinda a harsh reaction when you flip that lever.. Anybody out there know for SURE how to tell what I have for a drive and the PROPER way to operate the tractor/reverser/foot clutch? This is my first John Deere/don't know anything about them and the contractor I bought the machine from rarely used it due to not likeing the drive set up so he was no real help.
Never operated that model but I believe it is very similar to a 410 backhoe. 1) There is no torque converter in the 410/401. 2) The clutch pedal goes to a standard spring pressure friction clutch. 3) The forward/reverse lever operates hydraulic pressure clutch packs. Maybe the 401 releases hydraulic pressure to the clutch packs at low idle? Or....your pump is not producing enough pressure at idle to hold the clutches?
I have one for about 20 years now. I only use the hand throttle to maintain pto rpm. Use the shuttle shift for forward/reverse. Select the gear you want using the foot clutch or when changing ranges and just let the clutch out. Then select direction with the shuttle. Use the P position to hold the tractor still. I refitted mine with ag tires and have baled hay and used and abused that poor tractor. Keep after the bushings in the hyd. pump coupler. They are cheap and a lot less work than a new coupling. Great tractor for moving round bales and has a strong loader that will pick a lot of weight. I filled my new tires with calcium.
Bill, if your 401 is at low idle and you select foward or reverse with the shuttle will the machine move or sit there until you throttle up? That should answer one of the OP's main questions.
It will go. As I understand it the forward/reverse clutch locks up tighter as the rpm increases. I shift mine fwd/rev with the engine at full throttle all the time bush hogging and drag blading. It helps if you use the brakes to halt the motion before changing direction. Have done it for years. Works almost exactly like the old JD backhoes.
Well, to answer 1 question, at real low idle, 4-500rpm in low gears the machine wants to creep forward, high gears it sits still. Engine appears/sounds under no load. As soon as you hit the throttle, the tractor takes off hard no matter if your in a high or low gear. EXACTLY as the Ford 555 with the torque Converter... In high gears at higher RPM the engine will bog down under load from the loader or climbing a STEEP incline/no sign of slippage... At this point I'm still unsure of proper operation... The posts above in total give different operation techiques for proper operation.. Any more opinions out there?
What we are saying is, don't let the machine sit still while it's supposed to be moving. Your hoe has a problem (low pump pressure maybe) and it should always move even at low idle. For operating technique, that will come naturally when you get more time on your machine. If you're moving at a fast speed I would place the shuttle in neutral and slow down with the brakes before changing direction. Re-read the posts....your machine should operate like a direct drive machine with no torque converter and you will wear out your clutch packs if you let it stand still while in gear and the shuttle is activated.
Well, Old and Worn, I believe you worded it in a format my brain FINALLY comprehends.. I got it now... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if you think it engages too harshly you can dig deeper into the reverser, accumulator? valves? Don't be afraid to use the foot throttle and/or the foot clutch if you feel that's the smoothest way to operate it. Just because Deere says the machine can do full throttle reversing without clutching, doesn't mean that's the best way to do it.