Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jondaryan Historic Earthmoving Field Days 2008

Deas Plant · 2008-05-05 09:09

Hi, Folks. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending the Jondaryan Historic Earthmoving Field Days where I took a photo or two. For all those who wouldn't spend the time and bucks to get themselves there - and for those who just lived too far away - here are a couple of those photos. There will be more but I do need to sleep sometimes, be it ever so little.

Replies73
  1. #1euclid2008-05-05 10:36

    Cheers :thumbsup

  2. #2Deas Plant2008-05-06 05:53

    More jiggers from the show. Bet this was somebody's pride and joy a lotta years ago. It's an Allis Chalmers, I think a WC model but I'm open to correction on this.

  3. #3Deas Plant2008-05-06 05:58

    Somebody else's pride and joy. 'Nudder wunn - a Cat 22 crawler. I spent many a happy hour in my early teens looking at the view shown in photo#4. The Cat 22 that my father had was fitted with a windlass-controlled cable blade that you had to reach over to crank the little jigger. That taught a body to be careful when cranking and I was between 11 and 15 years of age when I was doing that.

  4. #4Deas Plant2008-05-06 06:13

    Some people actually LIKED these. Fordson County crawler with a Perkins P6 diesel engine. They weren't a BAD crawler, just not a really good one. They were a bit weak in the steering clutches, sometimes refusing to re-engage after a turn when under heavy load. Give the little jigger one thing - those tracks might LOOK odd being that high in comparison to the height of the machine but they could sure put the grunt on the ground - if the steering clutches didn't let go. Yer could just about play 'Waltzing Matilda' on those track chains. LOL.

  5. #5Deas Plant2008-05-06 06:32

    Had enough yet??????????????? I think I have couple more if you ain't sick of them yet. Here is a little red rig that I KNOW is IH and I think is a BTD6.

  6. #6Squizzy246B2008-05-06 06:43

    G,day Deas, Oh some memories there....we had one workin right up to about 1979. It was mainly used for sniggin logs around. A real beauty. What type of starting did that one have??. Thanks for the pics.

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-05-06 07:09

    Wind-up start. Hi, Squizzy. Nothing flash about that one. It had the normal 'wind-up' start but the 'bent key' was wedged down beside the 'black stump' insteada in its normal place in the hole at the front-n-centre bottom of the cooling tower. I snigged a few logs with my father's little jigger too. Having the blade on the front plus the cable gear made it a little less stoppable when doing drawbar work of any kind. They were as TUFF as old boots or that 'other boot-making' material. I also spent an odd hour or 16 rolling bracken with it. We had 430 acres of 'bracken nursery' down at Denmark, about 8 miles West of the town.

  8. #8Deas Plant2008-05-06 07:41

    Appearances are sometimes deceptive. Check these photos carefully. Appearances are sometimes deceptive. A Fowler VF crawler with a drawn scoop.

  9. #9Deas Plant2008-05-06 07:46

    And the rest of the story. And here is the rest of the story. LOL. NO smoke from a single cylinder 2-stroke diesel in a moving tractor. Sounds quietly suspicious to me. Minetinkit she bin wun dead wun.

  10. #10Lashlander2008-05-06 09:24

    Nice pictures Deas! You gotta luv the older stuff. That brings back memories of my grand dads place in Colorado. He had a couple RD4s he farmed with and a couple D2s. I always wondered where they ended up when he passed away. Thanks for the post.

  11. #11euclid2008-05-06 10:11

    Cheers M8, Nice pictures of some old iron.

  12. #12Deas Plant2008-05-07 07:25

    Mor rold stuff. Hi, Lashlander. I'm with you, Mate. The older, slower-banging engines may have been noisier and less responsive and the machine may have required somewhat more effort to get a day's work out of them but at least you KNEW you had DONE a day's work and you got some exercise to boot. These days, with enclosed cabs, fingertip controls, A/C, radio's, tape decks, CD players, lasers, GPS, and maybe even coffee machines, a bloke might's well wear a suit, collar and tie to work. By comparison, it's a rest camp. It's a funny thing too but I haven't noticed too much getting done with the NEW machines that wasn't getting done with the older ones either. MAYBE a bit faster is all.

  13. #13Deas Plant2008-05-07 07:27

    D**n! Forgot the foters. Mor rold stuff. Cat D7 4T with a Campbell I.S.A.S. (Industrial Sales And Service - a long-time-ago IH distributor.) cable ripper. This D7 has been a fairly regular attendee of this particular show over the years that I have been going there, although this is the first time I have seen the ripper.

  14. #14Deas Plant2008-05-07 07:47

    Here's one for all the 'Bushies' out there. The Black Stump. WOT??????? No OTHER Side of the Black Stump? For all you 'Top-siders', the 'black stump' is a mythical place beyond which, or the other side of which, is a LONG way away.

  15. #15euclid2008-05-07 07:53

    is that a Queensland slang or country wide term? Can't remember hearing that one. If you’ve ever been up in N/T then I reckon it is the Black Stump!

  16. #16Deas Plant2008-05-07 07:57

    More pics of the Campbell cable ripper. Some more shots of the Campbell cable ripper. As mentiond above, I had never seen this ripper before and did not even know that there was such an animal. It looks like it might have been a fair load for the D7 in heavy going.

  17. #17Deas Plant2008-05-07 08:30

    Country-wide???????????? Hi, Euclid. I can't say for sure if it's country-wide or not but I've heard it used everywhere I've been in Australia and that covers a fair bit of it. I haven't made it up the 'Territory' yet but I've been in some fairly out-of-the-way places in Western Australia. Try typing Mitchell Plateau or Admiralty Gulf or Doongan Station into Google Earth.

  18. #18euclid2008-05-07 11:53

    I reckon that is black stump territory. I heard stories of when roads in the bush out in WA weren't paved. The caravans and road trains would just tear up the road and at night the road would look flat cuz the dust would cover up the pot holes. They said it was bloody hell to travel, not to mention wallaby's and roo's mucking about at night because they could put a hurting on your car if you didn't have a roo guard. If I ever made it back to Australia I want to visit the Gold Coast and swim in the reef, next back to Darwin to visit Kakadu again and stay in the bush and go on those tours. I really have no desire to see the city or anything just the country side.

  19. #19Partsdude2008-05-07 18:56

    Love that old iron. It looks like the weather was awesome. Entirely opposite of what I have here today.

  20. #20Deas Plant2008-05-08 06:44

    Beautiful one day - - - - - - Hi, Partsdude. Welcome to the forum. 'Course the weather's AWESOME. This is Queensland, Australia that we are talking about now, one of the very few places places on this little lifeboat in space that is actually FIT for human habitation, where the weather is beautiful one day and perfect the next. LOL. Hi, Euclid. She's a big paddock, Mate. There's a fair bit of it that doesn't have cities on it - - - YET. Here are some photos of a neat little jigger that pretty much only moved to perform the rescue in the shots shown above with the 'smokeless' Fowler VF crawler and scoop.

  21. #21alan627b2008-05-08 11:13

    Here's some more cable rippers for you, Deas.....

  22. #22alan627b2008-05-08 11:15

    More....some of these might be subsoilers instead..that 3rd pic above, not sure what that was....3rd pic in this batch, notice the old aircraft tires...

  23. #23alan627b2008-05-08 11:18

    Few more.

  24. #24alan627b2008-05-08 11:23

    This place was a gold mine for vintage equipment...here are a couple of cool decals I saw there...

  25. #25euclid2008-05-08 14:25

    I used to live new San Leandro up in the San Francisco Bay Area. And that old iron is resting in Nebraska..... if you see any euclids post some and get the inside cabs if you can.

  26. #26alan627b2008-05-08 22:59

    This old iron is in Madera, California,at National Hardware Supply . I went there on vaction a couple of years ago. DW20 with the supercharged D337 engine.

  27. #27alan627b2008-05-08 23:11

    Here ya go, Euclid...a S7 owned by Dave Geis of Seward, Nebraska, at a show last summer. Actually, they were adding on to the high school, and the contractor is also a vintage equipment fan and brought their "old stuff" out for ground breaking...and invited folks to bring theirs out to play. Thanks to Hartmann Grading for the opportunity! TD24 with pan , and D8 and pan also.

  28. #28alan627b2008-05-08 23:16

    more. Proof P&H was ahead of it's time. Dave's newest restored pride and joy, and his also nicely restored shovel.

  29. #29alan627b2008-05-08 23:22

    Nice lineup, eh? Looks like 1955....

  30. #30alan627b2008-05-08 23:26

    Last ones tonight, a couple of patrols for you.

  31. #31alan627b2008-05-08 23:28

    Tidy HD15.

  32. #32euclid2008-05-09 07:49

    Cool Pictures! I wonder if our M8's in Oz have any old ukes mucking about?

  33. #33Deas Plant2008-05-10 04:08

    Odd little green thingummyjig. Hi, Euclid. Here are some photos of a strange little green thingummyjig, a noisy little beast roughly the size of a decent wheel barrow with too many wheels. Hadda starnge name too - Oyklidd, or some such. Didn't look very user-friendly to me. I couldn't help the feeling that the best way to look at it was through a camera lens.

  34. #34Deas Plant2008-05-10 04:12

    More Torture. More Torture. Note the ACTION shot in photo 3 - they were playing with REAL dirt. LOL.

  35. #35bear2008-05-10 04:26

    Nice stuff there guys! I wish the folks around here would take such an interest in the old stuff. It's a shame all the good old equipment has been worked into the ground improperly repaired or maintained and when the idiots figure they want something new take 'em to the scrap yard. on the other side of that I usually get a few replacement hoses and other odds and inds if they aren't total trash. If I had the dough (maybe after college and a good job) I'd get some of these old jiggers and try to rescue them. Breaks my heart saw and old td 15 the other day just needed a couple track links and a head gasket. been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years cause the old fella that owned it died. Tried to trade some work for the old girl no dice. :Banghead

  36. #36Grader4me2008-05-10 06:25

    Yes, the days of going home black with dirt, and all anyone can see is your eyeballs and teeth are over. Not to mention exhausted, sore and irritable as well. Ahhh...those were the days when men were men and in some cases woman were men Great pictures of the old stuff!

  37. #37euclid2008-05-10 07:18

    Oi, right oh M8 that little digger looks very un-user friendly! But good nevertheless. Cheers for the ole uke fotos.

  38. #38Deas Plant2008-05-10 07:20

    Had enuff yett? More foters. Would this qualify as doing it the hard way? LOL.

  39. #39euclid2008-05-10 07:34

    reckon what kind of powerplant that rig has? Looks like hard work IMO but the mother of invention mad it better over time

  40. #40Deas Plant2008-05-10 07:37

    Cop these. Back with the yellow stuff. A Cat RD6 and Cat #2 Terracer. Didn't do a lot on the days other than stand and drive around looking good. It was a 'working weekend' with the aim of building roads and pads for a caravan (trailer) park for the Jondaryan Woolshed premises visitors. I'm told that all sites will be fully serviced with a total of 22 sites available. In addition, another field which usually has the working sheepdog demonstrations happening there was upgraded by having some leveling work done on it, mainly with a John Deere 840 tractor and Hancock elevating scraper combo. Photos to come.

  41. #41Squizzy246B2008-05-10 07:38

    And today we have cross dressing Grader Drivers Well its nice to reminisce about the good ole days.....yeah, well Bugger the good Ole days I say...I'll keep my A/C Cab, comfy seat and CD Player...thanks:cool2

  42. #42Deas Plant2008-05-10 07:53

    Powerplants and comfort 'queens' Hi, Euclid. Those old Lanz tractors had a single-cylinder diesel engine of Lanz' own design. The early ones would even run on crude oil if you could get it. Strictly speaking, they were only what is called a semi-diesel because you had to pre-heat a hot-bulb built into the cylinder head to generate enough heat to get the engine to fire when cold. A full diesel relies mainly on the heat of compression for its ignition with glow-plugs for colder starts. It did not pay to leave them idling when bogged or standing on wet ground as they would literally hammer themselves into the ground. This was a trait they shared with pretty much all the single-cylinder diesels. Some twin-cylinder diesels weren't a whole lot better in that regard. The Australian-built twin-cylinder horizontally opposed Chamberlain 55DA tractor is one that comes to mind. Squizzy, you're a woos and a 'comfort queen'.

  43. #43euclid2008-05-10 10:13

    Interesting mootr set up, much like our old popping johnny's but a lot less vibration!

  44. #44Grader4me2008-05-10 20:32

    Lol..you nut..

  45. #45Deas Plant2008-05-10 20:44

    Er, Euclid???????????? Er, Euclid, are we talking about the same tractor? LESS vibration? Boy, have I got news for you. Those tractors, like all single cylinder fore-and-aft tractor engines, would rock the WHOLE tractor back and forth right where it sat when at idle or at full revs. You can physically SEE the tractor rocking when it is sitting still. I know the Johnny Poppers vibrate but I can assure that they ain't even in the same event when it comes to vibration. They are what is poltiely termed 'also-rans'.

  46. #46euclid2008-05-12 09:12

    Indeed you are correct about the vibration levels and comparisons to popping Johnny's. never saw one but I referenced an old deere because they were rough.

  47. #47Deas Plant2008-05-12 09:38

    A Johnny Popper for you. And here IS a Johnny Popper.

  48. #48Deas Plant2008-05-12 09:41

    The Long Way Home. They sure took the long way home to get the PTO drive to the elevator.

  49. #49euclid2008-05-12 13:06

    how old you reckon it is? I've never seen one before like that.

  50. #50Deas Plant2008-05-13 06:01

    Aged Well But Not In Wood. Hi, Euclid. Not being much of a JD afficionado, I don't have much idea but I do know that the 840 was the industrial version of the JD830 Ag tractor so I'd guess that it came out around the same time, +/- ? The 840 was superceded by the JD5010 industrial tractor which was the industrial version of the 5010 2wd Ag tractor. The industrial 5010 was a very similar shape and style to the 840 but with a 6-banger diesel instead of the Johnny Popper -a good relaible workhorse too. By the time the 5010 hit the market, JD were also making their own elevating scrapers with odd-shaped curved flights which loaded quite well. In fact, the whole jigger handled quite well - - - - - - - ONCE you got used to the oddball gear shift arrangement. How's that for NOT being a JD afficionado? LOL.

  51. #51euclid2008-05-13 08:00

    Wealth of knowldege on the older stuff. But I'm wondering if this was anOz unit specifically? Some things are regional ya know, due to prices, or how it would work in that area.

  52. #52Deas Plant2008-05-13 08:11

    Oz Unit. Hi, Euclid. No, I don't think it was an Oz-only unit. I didn't get a chance to check out the ID plate 'cos the owner came along, fired it up and took off to participate in the parade. I do know that JD manufactured in Australia, Western Australia to be specific, for a while. They bought out the Aussie-owned Chamberlain factory, built the then-current Chamberlain models for several years as Chamberlain-Deere, and then closed the place down. I guess they couldn't handle the competition and that was one way of beating them. No LOL. If I'm really lucky, I may just catch up with that jigger again the last weekend in July when we have our local club's rally. There's another more or less local rally this weekend too. I'll see if I can't arrange a bit more exercise for my camera - take it out for a stroll, so to speak. It's actually a truck rally where some machines seem to turn up, so I'll go along for a look.

  53. #53euclid2008-05-13 08:15

    You all have a lot of things going on over in WA. it would be very interesting to check out these pieces. Our biggest thing is old Ag tractors, I have a older JD and it is fun but I'm not into ag tractors unless it is a ag pull. I'm into those but all the different models aren't for me. I'd like to attend a construction type rally and see some real equipment knocking about.

  54. #54Deas Plant2008-05-14 06:09

    Not W.A.. Hi, Euclid. I am originally from W.A. but now live on the Gold Coast, Queensland, one of the very few places on Earth that are actually FIT for human habitation. There are at least 6 vintage shows, earthmoving equipment, tractors, trucks, other machinery, etc., within 2 hours drive of where I live and 2 of those are within 10 minutes. Are you suitably green yet???????????????????? LOL. To git amongst some reasonably heavy vintage iron that clanks and clatters and makes loud squealing noises as it moves along, hop a kite and gitchyer butt over to Woodland. Ca., from June 20 to 22, to the Best Show On Tracks. Here's a link to the web site. C'mon, it's only a hop, step and jump for you. I'm leaping the Pacific puddle to get there. LOL. http://www.bestshowontracks.org/

  55. #55euclid2008-05-15 13:32

    No I'm not green yet, but I'm not against being a wee green. You all are more green in oz than we are yet. I wish I could get over to the gold coast and hit the great barrier reef for a few days just swimming about.

  56. #56bear2008-05-15 19:37

    I'll second that! even third or fourth it. I already promised myself a trip to the other side of the world when i get out of college. Every day it get closer too.

  57. #57Squizzy246B2008-05-16 05:09

    Its a long swim from the Gold Coast to the Barrier Reef...about 1,200 miles or thereabouts......try Google Earth.

  58. #58bear2008-05-16 14:13

    Not specifically the Reef for me though I do love being on the water. Honestly I don't know where I would go but anywhere would annoy the wife. Honestly for me Down under is the only place I've ever considered worth visiting for more than a week. Nothing against anyone else just the way I am.

  59. #59Deas Plant2008-05-16 17:47

    Gold Coast to 'The Reef'. Hi, Euclid and Bear. Don't listen to that silly old goat from 'the West'. He doesn't know what he's talking about. It's not 1,200 miles from here to the Great Barrier Reef. If you type in "Lady Elliott Island, Australia" for a Google search, you will find yourself looking at a map showing Lady Elliot Island lying roughly North-east of a town called Bundaberg where, incidentally, they make a very popular rum. Lady Elliott Island is the Southernmost part of the Great Barrier Reef and I can be in Bundaberg in under 5 hours by road from home. This makes it around 350 miles. Swimming should get you there by about lunchtime - - - - - 2010. LOL.

  60. #60euclid2008-05-19 09:21

    Well IMO if you want to visit Oz, I'd recommend Kakadu National park. You get a 21 day stamp to stay inside the park which is roughly the size of New Jersey. There are all kinds of stuff to see and do with regards to nature. Go during the April-May time frame because it is after rainy season and it is hot, yet the water falls and stuff are great and you can swim and just hang out. And most Oz people are really nice and they want you visit to be a memory for a life time. I haven't been there since 1995 but I can tell you I'd go back again because it was tops! You can pack pack or camp or get a room if you so decide. Nuff Australia stories. Cheers

  61. #61Squizzy246B2008-05-19 10:27

    You do need to be a bit careful where you swim in the top end.....the odd smiling log floating about

  62. #62stretch2008-05-19 15:09

    Squizzy's pet Oh yeah, nice pics Deas. Always thought those elevators were neat machines.

  63. #63Ray Welsh2008-05-19 17:52

    Great pics from you all. Does anyone remember a tractor started with a 12gage shotgun cartridge? I think the pellets were removed!!!!!!! Our neighbour had one when I was a kid but I can't remember if it was a Lanz Bulldog, a Field Marshall or a Fowler. You had to position the flywheel to a certain position by hand, insert the cartridge and fire to start the engine. It was an improvement on the steam powered Burrel traction engine they owned (and still do, I believe) In Southland, New Zealand.........C ya........Ray

  64. #64Deas Plant2008-05-20 08:47

    Cartridge start. Hi, Ray. Yep, Field Marshall and the single cylinder Fowler crawlers had that starting system in addition to hand cranking. Both ways required that a lighted cartridge paper be placed in a torch that screwed into the cylinder head before attempting to start. And you're right - no pellets, just gunpowder or whatever the 'go-bang' was. Cartridge start was used on some aircraft engines too, amongst other applications. I think the original Lancaster bomber engines were cartridge start but I'm open to correction on this. I'm pretty sure that the Rolls Royce Merlins that were fited to some later Lancasters were electric start though. Some more shots of the little JD 'gobbly thing'.

  65. #65Deas Plant2008-05-20 08:49

    Still more JD 'gobbly thing'. And a few more.

  66. #66Deas Plant2008-05-20 08:51

    Tired yet? But wait. There's more.

  67. #67Deas Plant2008-05-20 08:56

    Are you still here? Th- Th- That's all the JD, Folks.

  68. #68bear2008-05-20 12:30

    Bundaberg rum That's pretty good rum if I remember correctly (that's always to question from those days ) Looks like the guy's movin some dirt with the little deere and looks like he needs tires too :cool2

  69. #69euclid2008-05-20 14:13

    I know the difference between salties and freshies.....

  70. #70bear2008-05-21 04:29

    Gator makes a good steak how do those "smiling logs"grill up?

  71. #71Deas Plant2008-05-21 06:08

    Croc steaks Hi, Euclid. As a general rule, you need to be pretty lucky and pretty quiet to get to see a 'freshie'. They're very shy and usually head for the water at the first hint of a human. 'Salties' on the other hand, tend to head for the water at the first hint of anything that might mean food, NOT 'cos they're shy, more like very sneaky and they can sneak up on you best from water. Bear, I'm told they're not bad eating. The DownUnder aboriginals used to eat both the 'real thing' and crocs-in-the-making, if they could get to the nest without momma croc catching them in the act. I looked at croc steaks on a restaurant menu back in 1978. They were $28.00 then. when you could by a good slab of bull done the way you liked it, with all the trimmings, for about $6.00. I love a good slab of bull.

  72. #72bear2008-05-21 07:28

    A good slab of warm beef is my favorite as well. alas, goin back to school and spending much of my time farming as well as the odd job with the old D6 are giving me a case of armchair bloat. gotta lay off the good stuff for awhile (sigh) the wife has put me on vegatables and beans (talk about exhaust leaks, whew!), evidently I'm doin well enough she wants to keep me a few more years

  73. #73euclid2008-05-21 07:49

    reckon the life span of a bull catcher and a salty catcher is a big difference. I know we swam with freshies, but like you said they are timid creatures. They have those tours you can go on and they feed salties from boats. What a bunch of tards! http://crocfarm.com.au/