Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Joystick only controls

DM&RDBulldog ยท 2025-12-09 16:25

Looking to order new and prefer joystick controls for steering and boom/bucket. Looking for the steering wheel/column to be absent as well. Ive personally shopped Deere, Develon, Hyundai, and Komatsu without success. So far, Liebherr has been the only one that I can get steering wheel/column free and dual joystick. Ive called Cat, Hitachi, and Volvo with no solid answer. They all recommend I come in to be told something that they should be able to answer over the phone. Online brochures have not been much of any help either. Any help is appreciated. [EDIT] Probably be wise to say what size loader im shopping for. 70k-80k, something that can handle an 8yd bucket full of gravel/stone.

Replies12
  1. #1Simon C2025-12-09 18:55

    An 8yd bucket is a big wheel loader, anything in that size range will be totally worn out for the price you are looking at. A new Deere 332g size skid steer costs about $120K in Canada. A cheap wheel loader is tons of repairs if it is high houred. If you have the skills to change a steering wheel to joy sticks I would suggest you try to fix a decent steering wheel loader with your time and have something ordinary when you are done. Simon C

  2. #2DM&RDBulldog2025-12-09 19:24

    Sorry if my original post was confusing? Im buying new and looking for a loader in the 70,000lb to 80,000lb range. Id like to know if anyone else has recently ordered a new machine in that size with joystick only controls. Ive struck out so far except for Liebherr.

  3. #3Cmark2025-12-09 20:02

    With Cat you're looking at a 980. This is available with either joystick or steering wheel steering, and either joystick or 2/3 lever implement controls.

  4. #4Simon C2025-12-09 22:08

    Now we know what you are looking for. I am sure you already know what kind of ballpark price they sell for. Simon C

  5. #5materthegreater2025-12-09 22:47

    I've seen Deere 744 loaders with joystick steering. I don't know about the larger loaders though.

  6. #6DM&RDBulldog2025-12-10 07:25

    I did find a local enough used Deere 844 setup the way I want but when I went to Deere to order two new loaders I was informed they all come with the steering wheel as backup to the joystick steering. Im going to look a little further for some more used loaders as myself and the crew really like the 844 we have now without the steering wheel in the way.

  7. #7DM&RDBulldog2025-12-10 19:06

    Sat down with Cat today and they can order one the way I want. Took a used one around the lot and its a nice machine comparable to the Deere I have. We discussed a potential demo period at my site so ill see what their numbers come out to.

  8. #8oarwhat2025-12-11 08:22

    DM looks like you have a huge operation. How about some pictures of your equipment?

  9. #9materthegreater2025-12-11 12:06

    Is there a difference between the Cat and Deere (or other brands) in the way the joystick functions? Does the joystick mimic the articulation angle of the machine (meaning that when the stick is centered, the machine is straight, and increasingly turns left or right with movement of the stick), or does it work like a simple hydraulic valve (where the articulation cylinders only move one way or the other if the stick is moved - this would mean it would stay in whatever position it was in when stick is in the center)? Hopefully that makes sense - I'm sure there is a proper terminology for this that I'm not aware of.

  10. #10Cmark2025-12-11 16:10

    I can't speak for Deere, but Cat use both systems. Early machines have a pilot hydraulic control and work as per your second description. The new machine we're discussing here will be a Next Gen with electro-hydraulic steering. The articulation angle will follow the joystick position.

  11. #11DM&RDBulldog2025-12-12 03:35

    Im having a promotional video made and will share the YouTube link when its live.

  12. #12DM&RDBulldog2025-12-12 03:47

    Between the Cat and Deere there is no difference, its a return to center function and the articulation follows the joystick position. Im not aware of any hold function to lock the articulation in position while letting go of the joystick. I still have not read the entire Deere operators manual.