Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just an observation

Legdoc ยท 2009-02-14 08:50

I just made my quarterly trek up to Austin Texas and back. I pass through numerous small towns (oil field country). I have never seen as many items in pastures, yards and business' for sale. Pick-ups, trailers, welding machines, tractors,dozers etc. I did not see what I would call a bargain. I guess it is a sign of the times. Have a good Valentine's Day.

Replies4
  1. #1ForsytheBros.2009-02-14 15:49

    LegDoc- Dually noted. In my local travels, i'm seeing items for sale as well, but not noting any "steals" on used (maybe i'm always too late for those deals). We try to keep a pulse on equip. activity via Heavy Equipment Trader mag and Iron Planet, etc. Seems like prices are down on used here in Tx, but we haven't found anything low enough to pull the trigger on.......What brought you to Austin?

  2. #2DeLong2009-02-14 16:44

    A friend of mine was at Ritchie brothers equipment auction the other day and said a lot of nice skidloaders were selling cheap. The bigger stuff was through the roof. I guess it depends on the crowd.

  3. #3Legdoc2009-02-14 17:04

    ForsytheBros.- I go to Austin quarterly for State board licensing meetings. It is where licenses to practice my profession are issued, revoked, penalties are given etc. This was an interesting meeting! Licenses were rovoked and an individual was issued a 50K fine. The meeting was at the William P Hobby Building on Guadalupe.

  4. #4surfer-joe2009-02-14 21:41

    I saw a ton of stuff for sale all over the west coast last fall. Seemed like every place you went by had something sitting out front with a sign on it. Passed a lot of it several times and it didn't seem like much was being sold very fast. A lot was newer stuff, so you know there had to be quite a bit with upside down loans and high price tags. But the real collections are in the auction yards.