Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just picked up a JCB 1400B… a few questions.

Belg ยท 2015-06-27 16:31

Good afternoon, hope someone has a moment to answer a few questions. I just bought a 1988 JCB 1400B in decent condition and have some control/operation questions. Unfortunately he's passed on therefore I can't go back and ask him, and there's no operators manual. I do have a service manual and a parts manual, but the information isn't leaping out at me... First, There is a button on the shuttle shift, a button on the wiper/light lever, a button on one side of the steering column, and a foot switch by the left side of the dipper controls. What are they supposed to do? None of them appear to have any tangible effect... Second, I did ask him about cold start but he had never used it in the depths of winter. I know the key turns back towards the seat, but he couldn't enlighten me as to how the cold start operates or what a cold start procedure would be... Last, I would assume the shovel has some form of float setting to follow ground contours... can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any and all help...

Replies2
  1. #1hookedondiesel2015-06-28 08:53

    I'm guessing that it's similar to mine, so here goes.... There is a button on the shuttle shift,... most likely the horn button. a button on the wiper/light lever,... most likely for the windshield washer sprayer. a foot switch by the left side of the dipper controls,... most likely for auxiliary attachment on the dipper, jack hammer, thumb etc. how the cold start operates or what a cold start procedure would be... theres a sort of glow plug in the air intake, you hold the key in the "H" position if I remember correctly for about 10 to 15 seconds, it turns on this "thermostart" and drops a little amount of fuel in the combustion chamber that has been heated and lit. The shovel if you mean the rear bucket, NO, there is no float, if you mean the front bucket, yes there is a float, just push the joystick all the way forward and it will lock into float.

  2. #2Belg2015-06-28 09:19

    Excellent, thanks very much... It's definitely going to earn its keep on the farm...