Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PVC for air lines

Legdoc ยท 2008-02-14 09:12

I plan to plumb my shop/barn this with air lines this weekend. It is 40'x100' and I will regulate it to 125 psi. Rigid pipe is a PITA due to all the threading involved and the galvanized Chinese pipe available today is junk. I am considering using 3/4" sch 80 pvc pipe and fittings. With proper joint preparation is this an acceptable method? I know people use sch 40 pvc for this all the time. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1GaryKelley2008-02-14 11:26

    I've seen more than 1 shop plumbed with PVC for air. 120 psi is the same regardless of the contents, with the exception of chemical breakdown, which should not be a problem with air..although if you go to 1" instead of 3/4". your volume is almost double..

  2. #2littledenny2008-02-14 12:02

    Is schedule 80 PVC rated for that pressure? I've seen it done with schedule 40 before, and I've seen it rupture when it was bumped with some shifting metal. PVC makes for some wicked shrapnal. There must be something on the web somewhere that deals with this.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2008-02-14 22:14

    the oil from the air compressor will eat pvc from the inside. ABS plastic piping is the only non-metal option .

  4. #4Legdoc2008-02-14 23:21

    I appreciate the advice. I did some online research today. Taking into account the options available locally the decision is 3/4" hard drawn copper. I will silver solder it. It looks like it's going to be a good weekend to work indoors!