Need advice on installing kill switch, For a 99 case 570lxt Did you buy an available kit for commercial vehicles? Purchase a switch and install ? Did a search and nothing came up. Curious what some of you have done? Thank you!
There are several ways to go about it. Locking battery disconnect but that can be fairly easy to defeat. You can hide a switch somewhere and use it to kill power to starter solenoid or perhaps a fuel or shutoff solenoid relay. If you just want a battery shutoff they're easy to get, NAPA etc have them. If you want to disable it that will take a little more effort.
I was thinking of hiding a switch. Probably on the starter like you mentioned...Have yet to fix previous owners use of clothes hanger rod in place of fuel cutoff solenoid. I live in a very quiet area. Have had a rash of thefts recently. Wouldn’t want lose my little Hercules I will look at that Napa item as well. always forget how useful they are Appreciate the input.
not only is a kill switch good, but they make small gps tracking devices cheap, so if someone does take it you can track it for recovery..on your smart phone..
It would be sort of a pain, but a quarter turn ball valve on the fuel line won’t let them get far. Leave the reverser in gear when you park it, the starter won’t work unless it’s in neutral. Many good operators have been bit by that and have called about a no start.
All great suggestions. I will probably do a combination of these ideas. thanks for the input Stupid pill epidemic is driving this i assume
Probably is. Just leave a bag of laxative pills with a note. Please take these and leave my equipment alone :-D
I bought and installed a battery disconnect switch on my Backhoe out of site above the battery box opposite the driver dr. side . Followed the instructions and ran the battery neutral cable threw it. Then until I got use to having it wonder why I had a dead battery a few times until remembering the switch.
I just ordered a GPS tracking device, designed for a motorcycle, so it should be easy to hide on heavy equipment. It was only $ 14. which is cheaper than a kill switch. I didn't look close at it before ordering it, I think it may be a cell phone subscription based signal. If that's the case, the cost over the long run will be prohibitive for me unless I can activate the signal $ after it gets stolen. I'll post a review on this thread as soon as it arrives from USPS snail mail.
I was looking at those as well. Was a little put off by subscription to T-Mobile. Only Verizon works in my area 100%. Was a little disappointed
I don't want to get blamed for somebody losing a piece of equipment to a thief. But around here the lower tier carriers like T-mobile are spotty as well. But they still ought to work well enough to send the occasional data blip to get "close enough" to figure out where a piece of iron is.
I was just reminded of a funny kill switch related story. I very close friend's father served in WWII and came home to work in Tulsa at Douglas aircraft. He made quite a few daily trips from hangar to flight line. He had a little moped that he used. Well his coworkers enjoyed "borrowing" it. To eliminate this issue he had a piece of wire from the spark plug wire into the seat about where your man parts would reside as you were seated to start it. The sounds he used to describe the would be thief's reactions were hysterical. Earl must have nine lives because he's cheated death since his air corp days and is still going strong in his 90's! In the last 10-12 years he's rolled a pickup truck and been bitten by a copperhead while waaaaay out on his lake property hours from any real medical help. The stories he can tell....
Wow, a life most definitely lived. I love hearing stories like that
Had time after harvest to play with new GPS. GPS tracking is a much bigger challenge than a kill switch. An old phone or tablet SIM card won't work in GPS tracker, and Verizon won't work because their signal doesn't conform to the radio I got, it needs to be AT&T for the correct radio signal. Rather than a GPS tracker, You'd be better off buying a new phone, hardwire the charger and once it's lost use google-find-device online program.
Good info, thank you. Too bad Verizon cannot be used. Seems they are the best for coverage (in my area) but not so great for situations like this