Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco ED180 Bladerunner Stick Function

Zach Johnston · 2021-10-17 01:11

I have a 2000 Kobelco ED180 Bladerunner and when you move your stick out it’s super slow. All of my other controls operate as they should, even when you stick in. We swapped the 2 lines for the stick and the problem followed it to when you stick in. Any suggestions on where and what to look for? Thanks

Replies26
  1. #1Kobelco ireland2021-10-17 14:33

    Hi few questions is it slow all the way out or only from vertical to fully out. Also if you activate another function(let's say left track) does it speed up

  2. #2Zach Johnston2021-10-17 17:09

    It is slow from start to finish on opening the arm which is actually closing the cylinder. It doesn’t appear to make a difference on its speed while operating anything else. Everything else works at an idle but stick/arm won’t open unless u throttle it up to atleast 3/8 throttle and then it works, but slow. Doesn’t make a difference on opening speed from 3/8 to wide open throttle.

  3. #3Kobelco ireland2021-10-18 07:39

    My guess would be faulty arm port relief valve. Swap the two arm port relief valves and see if problem moves to arm in.

  4. #4Zach Johnston2021-10-18 11:41

    I will try that this evening. I have pulled them all out with control valves and cleaned/checked spools with air pressure. All seem to operating fine and free, but I will swap out/in reliefs and try that. This machine has different kpss modes that speed up certain cylinders. I’m concerned that whatever (I’m assuming an electric solenoid) may not be activating with all the others to speed up this one function but following this diagram is almost impossible. I will add attachments of drawings

  5. #5Zach Johnston2021-10-18 11:52

    Attachments are of glued routes during digging and extending arm in different kpss modes. Thanks for the help. I consider myself to be fairly knowledge and read electrical blueprints for plc’s and vfd’s but this is confusing and over my head.

  6. #6Zach Johnston2021-10-18 11:53

    Fluid routes, not glued routes. My bad

  7. #7Zach Johnston2021-10-20 23:39

    I tried swapping the in and out relief valves with no change. Out still slow and in still fast. I did pull the top and bottom valve covers with the arm valve and spool. Took apart and cleaned. Reassembled. Spool does move with air pressure applied to small ports in the side of the valve. I did have 3 small, (about half the size of a pencil eraser) pieces of metal in hose feeding arm in from bottom and in valve cover below valve. I have since done a full fluid and filter flush with no change. I also pulled negative valve and cleaned and reinstalled. Any further help or suggestions would be awesome as I am at a lose.

  8. #8Kobelco ireland2021-10-21 16:14

    You need to find the source ot these metal pieces a look inside the arm ram might be a good idea. What is the cycle times for arm out and in. Does the ram hold or drop when fully extended

  9. #9Zach Johnston2021-10-21 20:46

    I have took every main and port relief valve out, cleaned and reinstalled. Pulled every hose from each valve and blew through with air. I just had cylinder repacked because I thought that was issue to begin with but still exact same problem. Inside of cylinder looked pretty good considering it’s age but no broke or cracked pieces. It will fully close in about 4 seconds but takes about 14 seconds to open and no, it can sit for hours with stick out or in and not leak down. The hose that had the metal in it along with the metal in the stick in cover (bottom of arm valve/spool) runs to multiple place but the one with the metal in it ran back to a valve with multiple loop hoses to an electric solenoid, both mounted on back of cab by access door under air filter. Also today I had someone run the stick in and out for me so I could listen from up there by the control valves. Every function seem smooth and fairly quiet, u can hear the pump working but not load, but when you stick out it gets pretty load as if it’s in a bind, like when u bottom a cylinder out and continue to hold the pilot valve in place. With a stethoscope on return line (metal line from cooler back to bottom of tank) sound erratic and load while trying to open stick but sounds smooth and quieter while sticking in. Hope this info helps. I haven’t seen anything with any type of damage or broke parts that the metal could have came from. Thanks

  10. #10Kobelco ireland2021-10-22 08:12

    OK this information makes a big difference. Can you put gauges on both hydraulic pumps and tell us what pressure reading are on both pumps with arm out and also arm out held over relief. Also find low pressure sensors marked se-7 and se-8 at the valve chest and disconnect both and then check if the pump still loads with arm out

  11. #11Kobelco ireland2021-10-22 09:30

    Also can you give us any history of the problem, when it started, is it intermittent or continuous, was any repairs carried out just before it started or did you just inherit the problem

  12. #12Zach Johnston2021-10-22 11:15

    I am attempting to get all the gauges gathered up to do test. May take me a couple of days to get it done but will let you know asap. I bought the trackhoe with this issue so not sure about it’s history. I assumed when I bought it, it was just cylinder needed repackin beings all other functions worked properly.

  13. #13Zach Johnston2021-10-22 19:14

    My diagram only shows se-1 thru se-5. Doesn’t show a se-7 or se-8 or a location

  14. #14Kobelco ireland2021-10-22 19:21

    One will be located on top of arm spool cap and second on a little manifold next to valve chest. Can you post up your diagram

  15. #15Zach Johnston2021-10-22 20:14

    I see no electrical sensors on top or bottom of any valves. Pics coming

  16. #16Kobelco ireland2021-10-22 20:29

    See below

  17. #17Kobelco ireland2021-10-22 20:39

    Can you confirm this machine is a - 6 model, if its year 2000 it should be. Judging by picture of valve chest it looks like a mark 4 machine (pre 1998). If this is the case it won't have them sensors behind the cab cos it a very different set up. My bad I should have asked for a serial number

  18. #18Zach Johnston2021-10-22 20:55

    Sorry. Serial number YLU0035. Paper work from salesman shows 2000 kobelco ed180 blade runner

  19. #19Zach Johnston2021-10-22 21:54

    I have a full pdf manual on my machine if u would like me to send it. Pump test complete. Results are at idle p3 pilot gear pump-350 psi a2 pump 2-0psi A1 pump 1-0 psi At full throttle in h mode P3 750 psi A2-0psi A1-0psi at idle while arm/stick out (slow/problem) A2-1100psi A1-100psi at idle while arm/stick in (fast/normal) A2-1000psi A1-0psi Wide open throttle arm/stick out (slow) A2-2000psi A1-1000psi wide open throttle arm/stick in A2-2000psi A1-200psi wide open throttle over relief (stick all the way open and holding joystick open) A2-2200psi A1-1200psi just to do it I also done reading on bucket curl at wide open throttle A2-100psi A1-3100psi Over relief on bucket (bucket curled out to Maxine holding joystick) A1-4000psi

  20. #20Zach Johnston2021-10-22 23:48

    I’m assuming that both port a1 and a2 should not pressuring up at the time to open or close arm. Arm out readings are much closer together than arm in readings. Is one for opening and the for closing?

  21. #21Kobelco ireland2021-10-23 09:26

    Some funchions are single pump and some functions are two pump flow. Can you carry out pressure test on all functions including the tracks so we can get a better idea cos the ones you done already seem all too low. After doing pressure tests can you put your kpss switch into D mode and work all functions on the machine and let me know if anything changes

  22. #22Zach Johnston2021-10-23 12:19

    I will get other test ASAP. From what I can find in manual a1 should open and a2 should close

  23. #23Kobelco ireland2021-10-23 12:52

    Not how it works. P1 is right track, boom, bucket. P2 is left track, arm, swing. Boom up, arm out should be constant two pump flow. Arm in no load one pump, arm in with load two pump flow.

  24. #24Zach Johnston2021-10-23 15:14

    I uploaded pics from new test today. Only problem was with travel stalling. With blade down and bucket in dirt the tracks begin to stall and start spinning. All test was done by manual fully open or closed/ fully up or down. U can see on attachment a1 and a2 reading in h mode and d mode

  25. #25Zach Johnston2021-10-23 20:10

    I took both lines off arm cylinder to flow through and shine light through hoses to check for damage or collapsed lines. Everything looks good but I crunk the machine with hoses unhooked at cylinder just to activated pilot controls to see flow volume and both hoses flow fluid while running with no pilot control being activated. Is this normal. I assumed no flow/pressure until you moved a joystick. Both hoses flowed 6-8 inches out from end of line until joystick was moved then they flowed 12-14 foot.

  26. #26Kobelco ireland2021-10-24 02:07

    A small bit of flow is normal. I think it might be time for you to get someone out to the machine. Hydraulics are too dangerous to be messing with unless you fully understand them