Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK 300 Thumb.

-3Doc ยท 2009-08-04 20:49

Does anyone have any info on installing a thumb on a Kobelco SK 300 series 3 machine. Someone has started the job and then called me to finnish it. The thumb and cylinder are installed and allthe piping is down the boom and stick, they have installed a foot control to run the thumb and the pilot hoses go back to the valve bank and are plugged off. There is no spare spool in the valve bank that I can see. Some one told me that they usually just rob oil from one of the circuits to run the thumb but were not sure were to do it or how. I am a Hitachi guy and not used to Kobelco so any help would be appreciated. I phoned the local Kobelco dealer and he asked me for the serial # and when I gave it to him he said "That's a Grey market machine sorry can't help you". So this is where I'm at. Thanks.:canada

Replies10
  1. #1excavator2009-08-04 22:06

    It's been close to ten years ago that I last did a Kobelco thumb but I'll see if I can dig up my notes ect. The Mk 3 and 4 machines did not have a spare spool in the control valve so I used a solenoid operated valve plumbed into the control valve. If I can find my notes I have the numbers, ect.Where in BC are you located? I'm just a couple of miles south of the border on the western end.

  2. #2watglen2009-08-04 23:02

    What is a grey market machine?

  3. #3willie592009-08-04 23:08

    Hey -3Doc, the Kobelco circuits aren't much different from the machines you work on. They're all closed center valves. I don't think you can just rob oil from another circuit. The solenoid valving that excavator mentioned is probably what you'll have to do. I'm sure there's someone closer to you, but if you need some aftermarket info, contact Bobby Hudson at Hydraulic Circuit Technology. He can probably tell you what you need. http://www.hctkits.com/index.html

  4. #4-3Doc2009-08-04 23:16

    :canadaThanks Atcoequip excavator thinks he may be able to help me out! And watglen a grey market machine is a machine that was originally sold in Europe or Asia then imported into the country as a used machine sometimes with only very little hrs. on the machine and therefore skirting around local dealers.

  5. #5watglen2009-08-04 23:24

    So i guess my machine is a grey market machine cuiz it came from Tulsa. I got such a deal on that unit. The canadian market has not got with reality yet. Piles of used sitting around up here, with no buyers. Rental market is flat too, since renters are buying instead or renting this season.

  6. #6willie592009-08-04 23:31

    A "grey market" machine is a term that is usually applied to a machine that is in your area/country but was not made for that area/country. For example; a machine that is built specifically for and marketed in Asian countries, yet, ends up in Canada. The OEM Canadian dealers don't have any info on these machines, after all, they're not supposed to be there. Grey market machines are typically imported by independant buyers/dealers, no affiliation to OEM dealers. You'll find many of your OEM dealers won't supply parts/service for the machines, Cat and Kobelco for sure. Deere will offer a little support for these machines, but you have to have a dealer that is willing to do the research to identify the parts you need. Can't answer for other brands.

  7. #7-3Doc2009-08-04 23:45

    In my findings working on mostly Hitachi machines there is not a whole lot of difference between the two.

  8. #8dirthog2009-08-05 07:45

    you could also contact PHT 1-800-929-4417 we have used the kits before and they seem to work quite well

  9. #9jonboy2009-08-05 14:52

    while we are on the subject of kobelco excavators does any one know how to reset the hour meter showing how many hrs since last engine oil change on the lcd display on akobelco sk 120 mark v ????

  10. #10willie592009-08-05 19:43

    You're quite right -3Doc. In my area, even if it's a grey Hitachi and the my local Deere dealer doesn't have any info on it, they can usually contact someone at world wide operations and get parts diagrams on the grey Hitachi machines, sometimes it just takes a little time. But Cat and Kobelco...if it's grey, forget it.