Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK85 VS Cat 308D

Keegan Bailey · 2020-06-15 18:04

I recently came upon a couple oppurtunities to pick up a new excavator. I need to make a decision soon on which machine to purchase. One machine is a 2016 Kobelco SK85CS-3 with 3400 hours, the other is a 2011 Caterpillar 308D CR with 4400 hours. Both machines are almost the same cost. I'm familiar with Cat and know they make quality equipment, but I don't know much about Kobelco. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Replies22
  1. #1CM19952020-06-16 19:44

    Welcome to the Forums. In the future only post one topic per thread, it keeps the board from getting jumbled up with multiple threads about the same thing. Back to the question - I'd go for the Kobelco if the $$ is the same. 5 years and 1100 hours is a big difference if the price is the same. Ya'll right that down because you all know I'm a Cat guy.

  2. #2JD955SC2020-06-16 20:59

    There is, however, the wrinkle of Tier 4 Kobelco vs Tier 3 Cat.

  3. #3AzIron2020-06-16 21:23

    No experience with modern kobelco but had an old one years back tough old machine problem around here is dealer support

  4. #4catman132020-06-17 00:10

    the cat has a coupler and will have better resale than the Kobelco, and the cat has steel tracks harder to hurt than rubber tracks

  5. #5RTSmith2020-06-17 13:40

    But the Kobelco has a hydraulic thumb...

  6. #6LCA0782020-06-17 13:59

    What do you want to use it for? How long will you keep it?

  7. #7John C.2020-06-17 14:04

    Find out where you are going to get parts for the Kobelco, then decide.

  8. #8Nige2020-06-18 08:45

    That's the reason why a Kobelco that is 5 years newer and with similar total operating hours is being sold at a price in the same ballpark as a much older Cat machine. The previous owner has most probably come up against the issue of parts & service (non)availability.

  9. #9LACHAU2020-06-18 09:54

    https://kobelco-usa.com/excavators/dealer-locator

  10. #10CM19952020-06-18 10:23

    The 3rd largest dealer in my area carries Kobelco and there many Kobelco hoes operating in private and rental fleets around Central AL. Just assumed they were supported similarly in other areas. The local dealer carries the crane and excavator line. https://cowin.com/manufacturers/ Your milage may vary...

  11. #11Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 01:49

    Is one better over the other

  12. #12Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 01:51

    I do excavation so I will use it for many different purposes, I plan on keeping it for The foreseeable future.

  13. #13Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 01:52

    Sorry about that I will keep it in mind. I was thinking the same thing I don’t know how to justify the difference just because one says cat especially since it’s not even running a cat motor.

  14. #14Nige2020-06-20 04:06

    You don't justify the age/price/hours difference simply because of the colour the machine is painted or the brand logo on it. IMHO you justify your purchase mostly on the basis of what parts & service support you can expect for each brand from the local dealer(s). Because if it goes down it will a) not be earning you any money and b) you will most likely have customers on your back wanting to know when their job is going to be finished. So for TN that would be either Scott Equipment in Nashville/Memphis or Company Wrench in Knoxville (Kobelco) versus either Thompson or Stowers (Cat) with 11 branches across the state split between the two companies. Interesting to note that both Kobelco dealers represent multiple equipment manufacturers, about 10 in Scott's case and maybe 30 in the case of the other guys.

  15. #15CM19952020-06-20 10:20

    Those Cataushi (Mitsubishi engines painted Cat Yellow) are great engines. I have never had any issues out of the few I've owned. Ditto on what Nige said about parts and support. I jumped the gun on my suggestion not knowing your dealer situation. Our 3rd largest dealer here in Birmingham carries Kobelco and there are several Kobelco hoes running around. The machines have a good reputation from what I've heard from the people owning and running them. Which Grand Junction are you located?

  16. #16AzIron2020-06-20 10:42

    Kobelco used to run Mitsubishi engines not sure what they are now but much like isuzu I have never heard any negative comments on either of those brands if engine I think kobelco is a decent machine but if your like here we dont have a real dealer it doesnt matter how cheap the machine is you cant fix it in a timely manner witch will cost far more than saved on the purchase now if you have a halfway reputable kobelco dealer near there by all means go guns ablazing

  17. #17Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 12:23

    Grand Junction, CO

  18. #18Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 12:29

    I believe we have a full line dealer in town

  19. #19Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 12:30

    This particular machine is running a Isuzu, and their is a Full line dealer in my city

  20. #20Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 12:32

    We have a full line dealer in my city, but I do nearly all my own service, and my sister company is a diesel service company for what I can’t do.

  21. #21Keegan Bailey2020-06-20 12:38

    There is a Cat and Kobelco dealer within 10 miles of where I’m located

  22. #22AzIron2020-06-20 12:46

    So then if all things being comparable to eachother you get to make a decision