Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu 155a 1975 Not moving after an hour.

HMHmechanic · 2024-09-25 21:12

Hello everyone, I'm having problems troubleshooting a komatsu dozer I have been working on, when I first looked at it it wouldn't move, after resealing some lraks on the suction side i have got it moving. The problem now is that after about 45 minutes to an hour it wants to get slugish and stop moving, all filters are fresh. Next step i will take is looking at torque convertor screen. TIA for any input

Replies7
  1. #1chidog2024-09-25 21:50

    Check pressures with a gauge.

  2. #2Simon C2024-09-25 22:40

    Better look at what is in the filters. I have worked on these extensively. Better run away from these units as too many parts are no longer available. Have done many torques, engines, transmissions and parts are no longer available. Finished the last 155 engine last November, will not do another. If you can sell or convince the owner to sell I would head that way. Even aftermarket parts are no go on many items. Could tell you a story for 5 pages if I had the time. Last unit I was working on is a 1977 model, and the next component that fails makes it scrap metal. We scrapped 2 of them last year. Komatsu is not backing anymore. Simon C

  3. #3HMHmechanic2024-09-26 13:30

    The last mechanic changed the filters so I have no idea if there was metal shavings or clutch material in them hoping this torque convertor screen will tell me when i pull it, sounds like you have alot of experience, any tips when i go to tackle cleaning this tc screen?

  4. #4Simon C2024-09-26 23:49

    The Suction screen is at the bottom, back side of torque. Be careful taking out as the filter can snag and damage coming out. Do not put the o-rings that seal the filter into varsol as they will change shape if they are the orange ones I seen before. Some of the torque orange seals are no longer available and cannot be changed to black ones because of the heat. The screen is brass and can be washed, worth about $200. Was the drive shaft from torque to transmission still turning when machine stopped moving or was it engaged. Will have to hook up a gauge eventually or not if torque is blown, which is quite common. Just finished one about 5 months ago, that bearings were done. Aluminuum parts are big bucks and don't know if still available. Simon C

  5. #5HMHmechanic2024-09-27 01:28

    Awesome thank for the reply, driveshaft is in sync with motor rpms will still attempt to move when it quite and with high rpms can make it barely crawl, sorry forgot to add that in op. This can be removed without rdmovung belly pan correct or will i need to go ahead and remove it?

  6. #6epirbalex2024-09-27 03:07

    There maybe a trapdoor in the belly pan you can open . When you replace the screen there is a flat spot beside one of the bolt holes it has to be replaced correctly . It has to do with the direction of oil flow .

  7. #7Simon C2024-09-27 08:32

    Nasty Stump Pan needs to come off to get at it. Will need a transmission Jack with tiltable top plate as stump goes in at an angle. I use 2 jacks at once on a smooth floor. Punch mark suction screen outer plate before pulling out. If the driveshaft was turning fast it generally means torque is sick, or clutches slipping in transmission. I hate those units, you will know why I said it. Simon C