Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

One track stretched 2” more than other

Dozerguy1983 · 2024-09-26 11:45

Hey all. I mostly operate a 2018 a 700k xlt dozer. It has 5k hours on it. The other day I noticed one front idler was pushed farther out than the other side. I measured the tracks. One track is 2” longer than the other I just stuck a tape measure through the side of the track to measure. From the back centre of the sprocket to the front centre of the front idler What on earth causes this? I don’t spin the tracks often and I am relatively gently with this machine. I have put most of the hours on this machine but she had a tough break in by an ex-employee and he beat the **** outta it every day

Replies6
  1. #1Mquinista2024-09-26 13:12

    Well, Worn pin bushings... 1mm in every link can give a great stretch... so as some other wear all added. 5K its not far from needing new chains... But that depend a lot on what type of soil it did them... shale rocky VS sandy

  2. #2Dozerguy19832024-09-26 13:42

    I agree and understand what you are saying. I forgot to add the soils we are in. Mostly clay and sand. We use it for spreading stone as well

  3. #3Mquinista2024-09-26 14:48

    Well, i´m not versed in track wear, compared to some members around here, but from the numbers i´ve seen around i bet a 5K Hour machine soon soon be needing a set of chains and some other parts of the track system. Post some pictures so we can have an idea of the thing.

  4. #4Tones2024-09-26 18:41

    This isn't unusual. Believe it or not it's all to do with your dexterity and what side you favour. Without noticing you'll turn 1 way more that the other. Once you become aware of it and make the correction then the tracks will ware evenly.

  5. #5Dozerguy19832024-09-26 18:56

    This is exactly what I was thinking. I don’t really favour any sides that I know of but I’m not the only one using it

  6. #6Tones2024-09-27 20:40

    But if all other operators are right handed then the problem remains. The other fix is to find a Molly Dukker, same as a goofy foot.