Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu 355 track ajustment problems

Grazier ยท 2013-05-09 05:27

Any ideas on what is wrong? This D355 has started losing tension on both tracks at once, the track tension pumps up it appears normally with grease, but after a very short time of operation the tracks go slack again.

Replies14
  1. #1AllDodge2013-05-09 19:16

    I'm thinking the seals on the adjusters are leaking. The adjusters are not tied together, no expert hear, but I think you need to replace the seals if the tracks are not fully extended.

  2. #2core2013-05-10 04:07

    try looking for where the grease is coming out from, from around the track adjustor valve(where you put the grease in),in which case replace the valves. or is it around the external seal, where the chrome shaft comes out and pushes the idler. what is the condition of the tracks? are they well worn/stretched, possibly the adjustment is right out and coming to the end of its travel, measure the distance between 4 track pins and compare to service manual, or another dozer with good tracks to get an indication of track wear.

  3. #3Grazier2013-05-11 00:24

    grazier Yeah, when the tracks first lost tension there was a lot of grease coming out of the valves or nipples where you pump it in so I did replace them. There is a seperate nipple to lubicate the chrome shaft on the front outside of the housing it comes out of where it appears there is an external seal, there is no grease leaking here. The tracks have only done about 1,000 hours and are in exelent condition.

  4. #4Grazier2013-05-11 00:31

    Yeah I am thinking this, just can't understand why the tracks seem to ajust up normally when grease is pumped into the ajusters.Also funny how they both let go at the same time Replacing the seals looks like a fair job!

  5. #5RayF2013-05-11 00:41

    I don't know whether the dozers are similar to the excavators? The cyinders on the diggers used to pit and new seals were useless. I used to often weld the bores and re machine them.

  6. #6Construct'O2013-05-11 08:13

    What type of grease you using??? Brother used some special lyium?? grease that was slick on the old 7E we had and it worked to good couldn't keep tracks tight. Took it a part thinking it was the seal and was the grease he was using.Might try retracking the track cylinder with the tighter grease zet out then replace with just common all purpose grease.If they both are coming loose the same time might be your problem.Just a guess!Good luck.

  7. #7Construct'O2013-05-11 08:18

    Also after thought how long have you had your tracks on??? We replaced track on one of my dozers ,new everything and one side was coming loose.Finally keep retightening it and it stayed.Decided it had air in it.From releasing it all the way back when we took off the old tracks.So might have air in them,will have to works it way out???

  8. #8Grazier2013-05-12 00:15

    Yeah I don't know but the the chromed shaft that I can see looks in good condition the seals are on a piston inside this and push against a shaft affair which loads up the recoil springs all of. which are encased in a chamber half filled with oil. I have not replaced to seals and can not see the condition of the bores.

  9. #9Grazier2013-05-12 00:17

    I am using ordinary track roller grease, its a bit more oily than normal grease

  10. #10Grazier2013-05-12 00:23

    Yeah, I did think maybe it might have air in it which may have some how happened when the grease nipples let go. What grease are we supposed to use in track ajusters, I sure would like the problem to be a bit of air or the wrong grease

  11. #11Grazier2013-05-12 00:29

    The tracks have been on for must be near 10 years now and this the first problem with them

  12. #12mine_mechanic2013-05-12 02:25

    i'd say track adjuster's , all the track adjusters i've done always get pitted chrome shafts and the bores get badly worn which i usually get a engineering shop to put a slevee in the bores .Hardest part of the job is splitting the track's.

  13. #13mine_mechanic2013-05-12 02:30

    ahhh crap i thought i was on the excavator forum bit, never mind that post ^^ it's regarding excavators rather then dozer's.

  14. #14Grazier2013-05-12 03:32

    Yeah, I have not had anything much to do with excavators but I think the track systems would be similar in function probably just a lot bigger on this size dozer which equates to more expence