Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu 475 early model

Cat Wrench ยท 2010-09-17 23:59

Does anyone know of any companies currently running a 475 with the 8V170 engine?

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2010-09-18 13:35

    We had a 450 around here a few years ago but the 375 dozers pretty much killed the market in the Northwest for big Komatsu dozers. As I recall that machine had a KTA Cummins. I've been away from big Komatsu engines for awhile and this is the first I've heard of there being a V8 170. Most of the times anything in that horsepower range used a V12 140. Is this V8 motor something new?

  2. #2Cat Wrench2010-09-18 19:50

    Well I'm not sure. I was under the impression that the 8V170 was used in the early 475's and in early WA800's. Maybe someone else can confirm or set me straight?

  3. #3RDG2010-09-18 20:20

    I think you might be right in that the the very early 475s had a V8 engine the later ones came out with the V 12. Cheers RDG

  4. #4John C.2010-09-18 21:11

    My old Hotline guide shows the D475A1 as having a SA8V170 motor rated at 740 horse power while the D475A2 has the SA12V140 motor rated at 770 horsepower. The D455 came with the Cummins VTA 1710 rated at 620 horses. My memory fades more every year.

  5. #5Cat Wrench2010-09-18 21:36

    Thanks for the information. Now does you know anybody running any of the D475A1 dozers?