Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu 818 troubles

big builder ยท 2008-12-16 13:27

Hey everyone, I have an 03 komatsu 818 that is brutal to start. Seems ok in the summer but even when it's 0 celcius it won't go. No block heater but it sholdn't need one at this temperature. It's even parked in the garage ( (unheated) IT will just crank and crank try to start a couple of times then nothing. Sometimes if I put a heat gun right in the intake it will go , sometimes not. It has 1400 hours on it. Any one got any thoughts. It has a Yanmar engine.

Replies7
  1. #1gpap1232008-12-16 16:06

    Hi friend, i have the same problem with my old bobcat 741. i use the jump start solution with a powerful battery for example from a truck and it starts... i know this is not a solution but you can try it! Just beware of the voltage!

  2. #2big builder2008-12-17 11:53

    Yes, but mine will crank fine just not fire up.?? The battery will run down after lots of cranking though.

  3. #3wilddanz712008-12-17 11:57

    have you checked the fuel/water seperator filter?

  4. #4big builder2008-12-17 17:33

    How do I check this? ..............Visual or just replace? Will this restrict the fuel? It seems to run fine once it is runnning, also once it has been running it will fire right up.

  5. #5wilddanz712008-12-17 18:47

    I am just quessing that you may have a little water in the filter that may be freezing. you should be able to drain the water on the botom of the seperator. but if you havent changed it in a while then it cant hurt, it is cheap, good luck, I have no idea if this is your problem, but it is worth a try

  6. #6gpap1232008-12-19 14:43

    ok, your problem may not become from the battery. I think that the main problem is that there is no block heater.It is important at 0 C. My opinion is to change the fuel filter, once you have started it and it is warm.

  7. #7wkeggenhoff2009-03-16 11:26

    Komatsu818 no start That unit should have an air intake heater. Its a small grid of heated wires that sits in the intake flow of air. Relay could be gone if its not working. Turn the key counterclockwise. Put a test light on wires at intake spacer. Should light 12 volts. If not fuse or relay could be shot. Should start right up at 0 C with no block heater. Block heater is a 1 " NPT thread. I buy them from Temro in Canada. About $40. Keep yopur eyes on the air filter cap. Prone to breake the clips off and dust the engine.