Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D-41 S3 Steering Challenge

harvf16 ยท 2012-10-24 10:18

First a thankyou to this forum it has keep me going in maintaining my favorite toy the D-41S loader. My challenge today is the loss of steering after thirty min or so of operation. On first startup the petal steering is smooth and precise after 20 min or so the foot travel required to turn increases and a few min later I loose almost all turning capability. Allowed to cool 6-8 hours and repeat. Loader history. Given to me two years ago "If you can start it you can have it". Replaced all fluids, batteries. Lift and dump cylinders leaked badly and rebuilt them. Found the steering pump losing pressure and the tracks not turning, replaced pump (changed oil and cleaned screen). I have put 40-60 hours on since the pump replacement. My thoughts, I have not checked steering pump pressure or fluid temp. I think either the steering control valves are being bypassed with hot fluid or the steering clutch plates are worn beyond repair. I have limited experience in this type of diagnoses and can sure use the help of the forum members....your thoughts

Replies0

No replies yet.