I am trying to clean up 320 acres in north arkansas. Considering a D8K vs D6D with a medium size excavator. I have owned several small dozers but they just can't get the job done. Recently destroyed a case 850 lol. I know that the D8K alone will do the job but after reading some post became worried about the high cost of rebuild on the final drive and tranny. Since I have no experience with dozers this size I would not begin to know how to evaluate one for purchase. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Merwin
Yair . . . Hello Doc58 . When you say "clean up 320 acres" what do you mean? Is the country steep? Is it thickly timbered? If so how big are the trees? Are you building roads and fence lines? Do you need to get 'er done or can it take a while? In respect to small dozers not being able to get the job done . . . in what way do you mean? Horse power and weight doesn't really govern what you can do . . . it just governs the speed at which you can do it. Just some thoughts for starters. Cheers.
Oops. screwed up with the post
Scrub Puller. Im cleaning up small cedars in heavy rock . very hilly. Some heavy glade rock. Undercarrage and front bushings dont last very long. Thanks
you don't need a dozer you need a giant laser
Yair . . . The laser sounds a good idea . . . but seriously. Rock means operating slooow, so without seeing the country I can't imagine you would ever need an eight. A six sounds nice . . . and if the budget runs to an excavator why not . . . it'll save a bit of scrambling over guleys. Just my thoughts and I have cleared many thousands of acres with various machines. Cheers.
Go with the 6D and an excavator. Can do more with both. We have done a little work around Branson and a 6D will do just fine. Lighter dozer on rock is not as hard on undercarrages.
Bruce, r you close to mountain home and do u clear land? DOC58
Doc58, Nope. We are in north Missouri. Have an acquaintance who owns some ground at Branson that we have worked for at his place in Lees Summit. We built some roads and built crossings on his place. Trees are not anchored in the rock like the clay up here.
I clear just the other side of hardy......on some ground that is just holding the world together. Why are you wanting to clear 320 acres that is that rough. If you don't mind me asking.
A D8K sounds like over-kill for the job described. Especially if your alternative is D6D plus an excavator.
trying to get rid of cedars and clear property lines.
I can only imagine, but I am thinking a track hoe with a thumb would pluck them ceders like carrots out of the garden. They will also make some great fence post you can sell for some extra :drinkup money. Make more smaller size brush piles so your not tracking all over. D-8 I think is too much work and no fun on rock.
955L would do your clearing about as cheaply as anything. good all around rig for this job.
Darn, I ran a 955 a few months and it took me the longest time to get used to the backward dumping cycle of the bucket in relation to cat wheel loaders! I was forever dumping the bucket when I really meant to pull up the slack! I like the power of the D-8 in rocks over the D-6. Mind you I operated in lots of rock - slowly!