So when going from 1st to 2nd in forward, it doesn’t immediately shift.. it lags. Big time. Then will “clunk” into 2nd speed... Trans problem or simple clogged screen maybe? New to these machines still. Thanks guys. It’s a 1985
Was doing it in reverse a few weeks ago... but today shifting speeds in reverse was fine. No problem. Now today, for the first time, it started this issue in forward. Little worried here. No problem at all going from forward to reverse... and first in both work perfectly
Could this be as simple as cleaning the screen? Any ideas? This typical for these older hyroshift transmissions to lag like this between shifts? Mark
Check the cheap bits first . Connections may be worn on the gear change links .
Thanks for the response. Plan on getting into this weekend.. hoping it’s something simple. If I decelerate before shifting into 2nd, it’s smooth. If I try to shift into second while throttle is more than half, it won’t engage right away. Kinda just does nothing for a few seconds then engages into gear... what other possible issues might this be? Mark
The easiest thing to do is an oil and filter change if you haven't already. Make sure you are using the correct oil and also make sure you know how many filters there are and where they are located (suction screen). It sounds as though your modulation is sticky which could be oil or control valve related.
Ok. I know filters were done when I bought it. Prob have around 10 hours on it. I’ll change them all again. I’ll drop the oil and add new. Also clean the screen. “Modulation sticky” sorry for ignorance, what exactly may be sticky? Thanks a million for the responses.
Not sure how your machine transmission is set up but to make a long story short, modulation is usually carried out by a valve in the transmission control valve. It allows a slower (modulated) build up of hydraulic pressure in your clutches to prevent them for slamming during engagement. It allows for smoother shifts.
That makes sense. I would sometimes get that “slamming” effect when it would finally catch. This sounds promising. I was starting to sweat that the trans could be going. Thanks for the responses again sir. Tremendous help. I also have the shop manuals so that should also be helpful
put a gauge on it check P1 P2 and main pressures Those have a neutralizer I think make sure it is not sticking
Thanks Dave. I have a cat tech buddy coming to check it out. I’ll post when we figure out what the issue is..... thank again for all the feedback