Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31P

southernman13 ยท 2013-12-04 06:02

I have one that I accidentally put contaminated fuel in a while back. It's given me fits ever since. Any one know how difficult it is to remove the tank and clean it. I've tried cleaning it out with a wet vac and that's helped but it's still not good enough. Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1TwinPines2013-12-10 14:57

    southerman13, I have a new to me D37e-5. My idea may or may not help. But, while reading through the manuals it mentions a tank drain that should be drain every 50 hours. It says let it drain until all water and sediment quits coming out. I would suspect they put the drain at the low point in the tank. That might be a good place to start if you have not already done that. The drain is at the bottom of the tank above the left track, towards the rear. Also, somewhere, (I haven't looked for it yet on mine) there is a water seperator) that is suppose to be check and drain if needed before starting each time (according to the manual). I do not know where that is but will try and find it the next time I am out at the farm. You did not mention in what way the fuel was contaminated. Good luck.

  2. #2southernman132013-12-10 21:53

    Ya I knew of the drain, but it was always hit and miss when I tried draining it. Last week I drained the tank and wet vacked it out, then I pressure washed the inside. I had some thin layers of rust that was floating around and they would lay on top of the drain and clog it up. That's why some times it would and wouldn't drain. Well any way it's clean now and I'm going to replace the fuel line as well. I think it had some issues when i got it, but I had some5 gallon cans of contaminated fuel that we drained out of a rollback truck saddle tank. I kept it to start fire plies with, but I accidentally poured one of em in the dozer. Damitt man. It dam near caused it ti stall out while is was tending a fire pile and I've fought it ever since. I believe I've got it now. It was lookin good after I thoroughly cleaned it and then vacuumed it out again. Well see soon. I had also put an inline 3/8 see through filter before the pump so I could see when it was getting dirty. I'm going to leave that in the system.