Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

USDA dozer

Outasite ยท 2013-12-03 20:16

I picked up a 1983 D3B a couple of weeks ago,to replace my case 450.The main reason I bought it was the condition.It is super tight everywhere 3100hrs.The. Blade pins,linkage ect is all excellent.All filters belts and so on are all Cat parts.But the main selling point was on the side of the machine,is a sticker that reads (US DEPT OF AGRICULTURE) Does anyone know what these dozers may have been used for?It looks to never been worked hard at all.---- There is what's left of some kind of mount on the rear,maybe a backhoe,don't know.

Replies13
  1. #1denver m farms2013-12-03 21:10

    Probably forest Service, the mount was probably for a plow, for making fire breaks. Most of there's have always been and are 350,400,450 deere's but they have had and still do run some cats. Does it have or look like it has ever had brush screens?

  2. #2Outasite2013-12-03 21:22

    Still has full screens, sweep,and a crap load of lights,front,sides and rear.Its just that all the ones I have seen have said US FOREST SERVICE,never have seen one marked US DEPT OF AG before.I thought they were two differen't agency's

  3. #3denver m farms2013-12-03 21:46

    The Forest service is a agency of the USDA, officially it's the USDA forest service. Alot of people think the forest service is part of the department of the interior like blm, national park service, fish and wildlife, ect. As it happens here recently there was talk of taking away the official forest service crest and sign, and changing all the vehicle lettering and signs to the common USDA design and then just saying forest service under it, I don't think the idea went over. There are alot of different things it could have said in 83. But with a mount on the back, screens and sweeps, lots of lights, being tight and in good shape and saying anything in the direction of USDA, I still think forest service, and if not, I still say it's been a fire machine.

  4. #4Outasite2013-12-03 21:56

    Thanks for the information!:thumbsup------I may post a picture of what is left on the rear and maybe someone can tell what was on the back.

  5. #5denver m farms2013-12-03 21:58

    Well, it may have been more than you asked for, but it sure didn't cost much!

  6. #6FarmWrench2013-12-05 21:12

    Great thread. From a little that I have read Deere builds a specific setup for fire fighting. I don't know the specifics but other than lots of lights anything really different? Better yet... how did you find it?

  7. #7Outasite2013-12-06 13:15

    Not much different, other than a lot of brush guards,sweeps,and a LOT of lighting.A fella in town bought it about twelve years back at a state auction,I think it may have been given to the state by the Feds.Anyway it sat on the trailer for more than ten years,outside! so it looks like,well you know,not so good?But the good news is every thing about it,is very tight.Problem when I bought it was both brakes, and clutches, were froze "rusted badly" So it's down for all new clutches and bands.Then complete paint!-----Going to try and get my feet wet, and post a pic or two.[Can anyone tell me what kind of attachment was on the rear of this machine?ATTACH]110910[/ATTACH]

  8. #8PowderKeg2013-12-06 15:10

    Fireplow Mounted fireplow, like this:

  9. #9FarmWrench2013-12-06 16:48

    Are the tie downs on track frame part of the package? There is enough guards on that thing to be ready for the Apocalypse. Other than a full complement of track guards is there anything different on the undercarriage? It is not a salt?

  10. #10Outasite2013-12-06 17:19

    My tractor has the side tie downs,those and the root rake attachment were add ons,and also a couple of aux hydraulic valves,and does have a salt track.-----Powder Keg,thanks for the info,and pic,very nice piece!!!

  11. #11PowderKeg2013-12-06 18:10

    Yes, the frame tie downs are an option added by GR Manufacturing along with all the guarding, some blade mods and the blade mounted 20,000 lb winch, and a laundry list of other mods. She's one of Deere's special built Wildfire Dozer/Fireplows. From what I've seen/been told over the years, Deere has had the majority share of the small (@ 100 hp and less) dozer/fireplow market for many many years, and they want to keep it. Here's an older 450G with a mounted plow pulling a line during some plow training some years back, if the OP cares to see the plow in action. And one more of my sweetheart when she was fresh off the lowboy last January. Yeah, .gov holds the title, but after all the work (and fight) I put in getting her, I consider her "mine".

  12. #12Outasite2013-12-06 18:16

    :IMONow that's a right sweet tractor rite there:thumbsup

  13. #13Outasite2013-12-21 21:30

    I found a good picture of a fesco fire plow and the mount is exactly like mine.So if anyone has a plow they don't need let me know