Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31p-20 Information?

KomatsuD31p ยท 2010-07-20 22:59

I recently bought a claimed 1998 Komatsu d31p-20. I'm sorry My name is Matt I live in Tx. I am new to the site but not to equipment. I am 28 been running equipment since I was fifteen and around equipment since born. Well anyway I have this dozer now and I inspected everything on machine and it checked out. I was wondering if anyone knows what HP the straight six diesel engine is? It does not have a turbo, which brings another question Is there a way to put a turbo on that machine? SN 46619 if that can help. also does anyone know what years those dozers were produced with that engine? Any Information on this particular dozer would be great to have even if its not what I am looking for. I also have much knowledge in equipment if anyone ever has any questions I will certainly try to help. [email protected] Thanks Matt

Replies12
  1. #1FurakawaMatt2010-07-21 08:16

    Hello Matt. You might look on the side of the engine block for a plate listing the HP. My P-16 has it on the left hand side back below the exhaust. You can get manuals for the Dozer from SSB tractor . Hope that helps.

  2. #2KomatsuD31p2010-07-21 22:21

    So What is the difference in a -20 and a -16? How wide are your tracks? What year is it? Do you have the same engine? I do have alot of questions for you if you dont mind. Thanks

  3. #3FurakawaMatt2010-07-22 08:03

    Mine is a 1981 model. It has the 4D105 engine so it is not the same as your 6 cylinder. The engine serial number and type is stamped on the engine on the right side of the engine cylinder block in the front. the first group of numbers well give you the engine model. Track width on mine is 24in but those can vary for any model number. Good luck with your Komatsu.

  4. #4_Rod2010-07-24 16:46

    KomatsuD31P, I have been trying to get registered here so I could post a reply to your request for info. About 4 months ago we purchased a D31P-20 with 3760 hours. We purchased the dozer and rootrake from a guy we know who bought it new. He gave us the brochuer, 2 or 3 manuals, and the service records on the dozer. The dozer is real tight and there are no leaks. It starts right up whether it is 10 degrees or 90 degrees. Here is the info I have on my D31P-20 = Year = 1995 Serial # = 46557 Motor Model = 6D951-1 HP = 70 Hope this helps. By the way, this is my !st post here on Heavy Equipment Forums.

  5. #5willie592010-07-24 18:20

    Welcome to the forum Rod. :usa What part of Dixie are you in?

  6. #6_Rod2010-07-25 03:09

    Thanks. I am in Alabama, 1 hour east of Birmingham on I20.

  7. #7willie592010-07-25 09:50

    Ah, something was telling me you were from somewhere near Red Mountain.

  8. #8KomatsuD31p2010-07-25 13:00

    So by your serial number being 465 rod and mine being 466 do you think that means it would match a 98 model? So does yours have the non-turbo straight six? I wonder if there is an after market bolt on turbo kit for that engine I know that it would help tremendously. I need to get my radiator boiled out. If you have any questions on this machine I can try to answer any questions as well. Yeah my machine also cranks quite fast as well burns no oil and only has small leak around steering controls but other than that its tight and runs good. 9'4" blade. 3076hrs thanks everyone

  9. #9_Rod2010-07-26 08:33

    Komatsu, since there are only 62 dozers between my known 1995 dozer and your dozer which you were told was a 1998 model. I would suspect that Komatsu would have made more than 62 D31Ps between 1995 and 1998. I believe you will probably find out that your dozer may be an earlier model, such as an 1995 or 1996 model. Check with a Komatasu dealer, he can probabbly run the serial number and tell you the exact year. Mine is a non Turbo and I don't know if a turbo can be added. Again, the Komatsu dealer can tell you if they have kit for this or if it is possible. If it is, then you can looked for an aftermarket kit. We are having 80 acres of property clearcut and will use this dozer to knock down anything left standing as well as using the rootbrake on the blade to help windrow the leftover treetops. We will let this property lay for a year, then have it sprayed to kill everything, controlled burn to clean up everything on the ground. Around the year of 2011 or beginning of 2012, it will be replanted and put back into production so hopefully my kids can have the trees harvested one day. ATCOEQUIP, which Red mountain are you talking about? The one behind the shopping center which has the Indian Mound on it?

  10. #10willie592010-07-26 20:16

    Well, it was just a guess. When I saw you were from "the heart of Dixie", I took a guess you were somewhere in Alabama, within a close radius of Red Mountain on the south side of Birmingham.

  11. #11_Rod2010-07-26 20:35

    No I am east of Bham about 54 miles. About 6 miles (the way the crow flies) from Talladega Speedway.

  12. #12willie592010-07-26 21:16

    I got ya, welcome aboard.